58

"alright, clay. let's get it out. justin's in my room with ana. so what the fuck is wrong with you that you're pissed off at me?" i asked.

"you're with him." clay told me after we got home from the dance and he changed out of his clothes.

"yeah, clay, it's new. i still don't get why you're pissed off at me." i told him, sitting on justin's bed.

"because they have been fucking with me for weeks!" he shouted at me. "you're sleeping with the enemy!"

"why are you so concerned with who i'm with?"

"i could give two shits! but it's, of all people, diego!"

"alright, you know what? maybe... maybe everyone is right. maybe you don't need to be going on that camping trip." i said, shaking my head.

"i'm not breakable." he told me. "so you all just need to quit treating me like i am."

"we're all breakable, clay! and you're the worst." i said to him.

A FEW DAYS LATER IN A CABIN DURING THE SENIOR CAMPING TRIP....

"do you have a condom?" i asked diego.

"i, uh, i gotta go help the guys." diego replied.

"help the guys with what?" i asked him.

"just... help them. does it matter?" he asked.

"well... it does when you're turning down sex to do it, so..." i trailed off, "is it about messing with clay?"

"why do you care? you said he was crazy."

"that's why i care. you push him, he snaps, you get suspended again. i get bored and find another stupid, hot guy." i chuckled.

"this really about clay? or is this about justin?" he asked me. i rolled my eyes and got up.

"don't worry about justin." i said to him.

"so, will you drop the subject if i tell you i won't fuck with clay?" he asked.

i saw the guys begin to walk in, causing diego to stand up as well.

"also, um, i'm not stupid." he told me.

"really? 'cause you're letting me walk away." i said, walking out of the cabin.

a few hours later, we were around the campfire getting ready to start senior share.

"okay, then, the question for senior share. 'looking back on your time at liberty, do you have any regrets?' you know, let's pick something a little happier. uh... 'who do you trust most in your life and why?'" lanie asked all of us.

"i'll go. i, um... i always trust my boys to have my back. and... i... i trusted monty, always. he was the one that got me to play. freshman year, i, um, remember telling him, 'dominicans don't play football.' but he wouldn't take that. he taught me pride, he taught me what it was to trust someone, and... and i miss him." diego said.

"can i go?" i asked.

"sure, honey." lanie said, handing the shell to me.

"the person i trust... or trusted most... was jeff atkins. after getting out of a horrible relationship, he was there and heard me rant and cry more times than i can count. he was someone i trusted with everything i had. he knew every secret of mine and i knew his. when he... when he died, i almost didn't make it. luckily, one of my closest friends, clay, saved me. that's why he's been the person i trust most in my life since jeff died. he's been there for me for nearly two years and he's never let me down. and i'm grateful for that." i finished.