Siren's Call

Rowen

Nashville, The place where I met the most beautiful girl in the world. It changed my life. The city itself is nice, fast paced and modern but still had its rustic atmosphere, the locals were artists, musicians and hippies, all settled down together in this giant mess.

I unpacked my suitcase, and paced around my hotel room. It was about 9:00, but I was so jet lagged, it felt like I hadn't slept in weeks but also high on adrenaline at the same time. IN short, I couldn't sleep.

In a split second decision, I found myself walking out of the classy, downtown hotel. The cool breeze and feeling of excitement of a city at night filled my senses. I began to walk, not even conscious of where my feet were stepping. One foot in front of the other.

It was as if I was being pulled by a siren's call. Whatever it was, it lured me downtown. Down to the gaudy honky tonk bars were this all started.

It was almost like deja vous- only I felt like a different person. I couldn't exactly explain it, but it felt like I was a grown man, tracing his steps again. Maybe I'd be the boy in the coming of age fantasy story where he goes back in time to fix it all, or restarts the endless loop that is his love life.

To continue my brooding, and extend the cliché simile, the word seemed to be moving around me in high speed while I stood still, or walked in slow motion. They buzzed and moved, all full of emotion and color. Vivid, saturated live.

And here I stood, broken, determined, and utterly in love.

One of the good things about Nashville is that no one really notices if you're a celebrity. It reminded me a bit of Nola. I noticed something about here, It's not that she didn't care, but you could be mick fucking jagger and she'd just smile and stare dumbly at you, not recongizing you. Her brain couldn't commit to memory details of people's lives she'd never meet. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse.

Then again, sometimes she'd stare intently at someone in a movie or someone in a crowd. She'd repeat the words, "I swear I know them somehow," Until you're extremely creeped out or annoyed.

There were so many small things about Nola that either creeped people out or annoyed them. She totally thought they were normal. I wasn't someone to believe in ghosts or anything like that, but she'd say things like, "My relative was a witch and she was tried for witchcraft by her husband, fun fact," and then act like that's utterly normal. Or she'd gaze off into the distance, or randomly do double takes into the air.

I loved that girl, and I loved her creative mind, but I also realized, her imagination was either wildly vivid or she was a little more intune with the world than the rest of us.

She'd never admit it though. She'd scoff at the notion or roll her eyes. But I saw every little weird part of her.

I was utterly lost in thought as the music seemed to buzz into whitenoise around me. I found myself on that same strip of lower broadway as I had the night I met Magnolia. I barely registered the smell of cigarette smoke because in all honesty it was the norm in England, and even Westwood. Especially after hanging around Laurent for 6 years.

I stumbled into the first bar that caught my attention, and my eyes bee lined just like they did a few months ago, to a girl dancing like no one was watching, Her golden hair caught the light prettily, and she moved her hips in time with the beat.

All my senses and my mind zoomed in on her. I didn't register anything else in the room but her. My Magnolia Harris.

It was just then when I recognized the song playing through the speakers. I couldn't help but smirk in recognition.

Magnolia:

"Come on, it'll be fun," Ruby assured me. Her hair was prettily done in waves that fell just past her shoulders. She was dressed to kill in a leather skirt and vintage Bon Jovi band t. Her outfit screamed, "I give love a bad name," with her blood red lips and nails.

Slippery When Wet was the ultimate road trip album. I dare you to find a better one.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I wore black boots, these killer, extreme bell bottoms and a bell sleeve, tie front shirt. My long hair was almost at my mid back at this point, and it was center parted and hung straight. Big hoops framed my face with my dark eye makeup. I was going for a bit of a Disco-meets-Anita Pallenburg. Though, I think both Anita Pallenburg and the Queens of Disco would quake to hear me mix them.

"Fine," I sighed and shook my head teasingly, despite a grin appearing on my face.

The two of us pranced out of my house and into the black Uber awaiting us. I had this- this feeling deep down in my stomach. It felt like adrenaline and excitement. I didn't know what it meant, but it made me nervous. I couldn't wait to get on the dance floor and shake the energy off.

The drive was fast, and the air was surprisingly warm as we climbed out of the cab. With Nashville, you never could predict the weather. In the winter, one day it's 70ºF and then the next it's freezing and possibly even snowing.

Once we started walking through the bustling crowded streets, the familiar smells and noises filled my senses. I never thought of this part of town as my "home" but I sure as hell walked though it as if I owned the town.

I didn't even register my surroundings as Ruby pulled me into a bustling bar. Music was playing. The kind that made you want to get up and dance. To kick your feet and twirl around, to swing your partner.

Ruby let out a resounding, "YEEHAW!" as the song ended, and I wanted to hide my face in embarrassment. Heaven forbid we get mistaken for tourists.

I had a rush of adrenaline, and I pulled Ruby behind me into the crowd and started to dance without thinking.

It wasn't until a familiar noise and sound filled the room. Dolly Parton's voice filled my senses in a bittersweet memory.

"Why'd you come in here lookin' like that?"

I'm not sure what made me do it, but I looked towards the doorway as if expecting Caspian, Laurent, Matteo and Rowen to prance on in with those cocky smirks plastered on their faces.

And as soon as I looked, I did a double take.

It was like I had seen a ghost when I made eye contact with those goddamned green eyes and I saw that exact smirk. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I knew I was in trouble as I looked at him, the same song playing.

"Why you're almost giving me a heart attack! When you waltzed right in here lookin like That!"

Hey! Sorry it's been a while since my last update, I just wasn't feeling it, and I know thats a bad excuse, but... I just couldn't make myself do it. But, for some reason a lot of y'all added this to your reading lists and that made me want to write more. Don't worry, I've already started the next chapter so it'll be soon. But, to make it even faster, comment and vote, let me know you want another chapter and I'm not writing for no reason. Thanks so much! love y'all!