Chapter 25

Lily waited by the tree, reading a history book for an essay that was due soon. She tried her best to calm her nerves by distracting herself but it was quite difficult. She was desperate and needed to find out if Layla told James the truth. That would change everything and maybe just maybe they could have a future together.

But what was she saying? James was the cheater with Layla! But they never were officially dating so she shouldn't have gotten so mad. 

Lily was overthinking everything for the past few weeks and the kiss with Remus didn't help. After what seemed like decades, James made his way over to the tree. He immediately sensed Lily's nervousness. 

"Nervous for me, Lilyflower?" James smirked, trying his best to plaster a smile on Lily's face. 

"Of course, Potter!" Lily rolled her eyes playfully. Lily could sense that James was upset and that something had happened which made Lily even more curious. 

"What's got your wand in a knot?" Lily asked, staring into James' puffy eyes. "You know you can trust me." 

James shook his head and looked away, playing with the hem of his shirt. 

"James." Lily lifted his head up facing her and smiled warmly. "Is this about Layla?" 

"Lily I don't think I should talk about it." James answered.

"James, I know what it is." Lily said softly. 

"How do you know everything?" James chuckled softly. 

"Remus told-" Lily immediately stopped herself, regretting her words the second they came out of her mouth. 

"Remus told you what?" James asked curiously. 

"Nothing. I shouldn't have said anything." Lily spoke nervously. She didn't want a fight to arise between Remus and James because of her. She especially didn't want this to cause James finding out about the regretted kiss. 

"Lily, I know when your lying so don't even try." James said, trying to convince Lily. "If you tell me what Remus told you, I tell you exactly what happened with Layla." 

"James..." Lily began to say.

"Trust me." James stepped closer to Lily and stared intently into her shimmering eyes. 

The warm sun cascaded over their bodies as the pair talked. The lake shimmered in the sun which was beautiful to look at. James and Lily were busy talking that they didn't stop and look at nature. They especially didn't notice Remus watching them behind another tree. 

***

Marlene lifted her legs onto the wooden table as she pulled out her essay. 

"Hi Marlene." A unfamilar voice called from behind her. Marlene turned out and saw Mary smiling at her. 

"Hello, do you need something?" Marlene asked, shocked that Mary was even talking to her. 

"Look, I've been horrible to you and Lily. I want to apologize to you both." Mary said seriously. 

"Lily isn't here." Marlene said, skeptically. 

"I know, but you are. Will you forgive me?" Mary said, sitting down next to Mary. It was a nice feeling to be apologized to, being able to forget all that's happened and start fresh. However, Marlene was still a little freaked out. 

"It's a little late.." Marlene said bravely. 

"I know and I regret not doing this sooner." Mary's eyes filled with tears. 

"I really appreciate you apologizing. It takes true Gryffindor spirit. I hope we can start over." Marlene grinned happily.

Mary reached over and gave Marlene a hug which made both of the girls joyful that they can forget about everything that's happened.

***

AN: Thanks for reading! 

Will James and Lily figure out Remus is watching?

Does Mary really mean her apology? 

Will James figure out Remus and Lily kissed?