Chapter 36

Marlene tapped her foot impatiently and glared at the others one by one. Remus looked panicked and uneasy as he clearly wanted peace among everyone. Peter continued to bit his finger nails and everyone ignored him, being busy with the current situation. Sirius was staring at Marlene intently and it looked like his knees were about to buckle. 

"Well?" Marlene talked again with the same tone of feistyness. All she wanted to know what happened between two of her best friends and she clearly had a right to know. Remus uneasily looked at her but then nodded his head reluctantly. 

"Marlene has a point," Remus sighed apologetically and looked at James, "We need to know what's exactly going on or else we won't be able to help." 

Marlene smugly smiled and Sirius tried to hold back a laugh from her sassiness. She saw this and had to force herself to not wink, smile or talk to him. She wasn't in a good mood with him. 

"I know this probably isn't a good time but uh," Peter stuttered and looked away from the others. As usual, his fingers were plastered to his face as he bit awkwardly. "I a-ate the last chocolate frog on your bed James." 

Marlene and Sirius stiffled a laugh while Remus ignored Peter as if he was nothing. Remus didn't think it was the proper time to joke around. 

"How could you?" James said sarcastically and smirked playfully. This made Remus and Sirius relieved that James was able to joke now because that means he would explain and possibly be in a better mood. 

"Before I tell you all, I need to clarify something." James said, taking a deep breath and clearing his throat. Marlene had never seen James this worried or nervous just to tell something. "I was completely clueless and wasn't aware of their intentions." He pointed to Layla who everyone forgot was still there because of her surprisingly quiet presence. 

Remus, Sirius and Marlene all nodded together in one swift motion. Peter still looked nervous and he kept looking around to see what the others were doing. Peter tried to straighten his posture as James went on with his intense story. 

"Okay well I was supposed to meet Lily at The Three Broomsticks which you were all aware of." Everyone nodded in agreement as James continued. "I was running late per usual so when I was in the common room, Mary told me that Lily changed the plans from The Three Broomsticks to the lake instead." Marlene gasped at this dramatically and shook her head towards Layla who was still awkwardly listening to them. 

"I was relieved that the plans were changed so I could get to Lily quicker since the lake is obviously closer than The Three Broomsticks." James took another deep breath to calm himself down. "When I got to the lake, the only person there was Layla. She began trying to hit on me and eventually through all that trouble, I found out Lily was still waiting for me at the restaurant." 

"It was already too late though." With those last words, he tried his best to remain calm and not break down. Everyone was in silence as they watched how much pain James was in. 

Marlene didn't think it was that big of a deal since James could easily just explain to Lily the misunderstandment but then she realized it was more complicated than that. This was the last chance Lily was giving James and she clearly said if anything bad happened again to them, there would be no explaining and they were automatically done. 

"I'm so sorry." Marlene whispered as she took everything in completely. She walked over to James and hugged him tightly, trying to give him the slighest bit of hope. Remus and Sirius joined the group hug and it would of been a bonding moment for all of them if James wasn't so upset and unable to focus right now. 

"What do you have to say about yourself, Layla?" Sirius said, narrowing his eyes and crossing his hands over his chest. Sirius was not going to let Jily end because of classic Layla. 

"I-I can explain." She said with panick as she looked around at the others. "I swear!" She added to make herself seem more sympathetic. 

"There's no time for that!" Marlene said confidently. "We are going to find Lily and explain, whether she likes it or not." Marlene knew how much happier Lily was with James and she wasn't going to let that go to waste. 

"Team on three?" Sirius added after nodding his head to Marlene's comment happily. James grinned at the thought of finding Lily and explaining the whole distarious situation. 

"One...two...three!" Remus counted down loudly and they all screamed 'Team!' with him. 

But the real thought was...

Would Lily give James another chance?

***

AN: I hope you enjoyed this! I tried to update as soon as possible for all of you! Thanks for the reads, comments and votes! I just can't believe this story is at 56.6K reads, this is unbelievable and incredible! It's all because of you so I am forever grateful! I still have a lot more for this story so keep calm and read on! -Caroline <3 :D :)