Chapter 23

Millions of thoughts zoomed in Lily's head.

Why did she kiss Remus? What was he thinking now?

Why isn't Layla showing, if she is pregnant?

Why was James so upset when he heard who her first kiss was with?

Would things be awkward with Remus now?

Lily tried but could not fall asleep while she was thinking about so many things. She promised herself that tomorrow, she would clear all of these things to be thought free. At least she hoped.

***

"Wake up! Wake up! You're late!" A pillow was thrown at Lily's head several times. She fluttered her eyes open to see Marlene jumping on her bed, throwing pillows.

"M-Marlene." Lily said groggily.

"Get up!" Marlene grabbed Lily's arms and physically yanked her out of the warm bed.

"What time is it?" Lily rubbed her eyes, she had a horrible sleep.

"One of." Marlene yelled.

"One of what?"

"One of the watches you need to buy!" Marlene giggled at her own joke and skipped down the stairs.

"Is she alright?" Sirius asked immediately Marlene came down from the room.

"Have you been waiting here all this time?" Marlene asked, impressed.

"Well yeah." Sirius playfully winked.

"She slept in, which is so unlike her! How is James doing?" Marlene asked, looking around to make sure nobody would overhear.

"Not so well. I guess hearing that the person he has loved forever had her first magical kiss with his enemy didn't please him." Sirius sighed.

"Any hopes of them getting back together?" Marlene whispered.

"I really don't know. Especially with Layla pregnant." They both rolled their eyes and continued to walk to their breakfast.

A moment of silence passed between them which made Marlene realize she was having a normal conversation with Sirius. It was a weird feeling but she enjoyed it.

"How many months has it even been?" Marlene asked, skeptical.

"I don't know but she isn't showing." Sirius said, unconvinced.

"Weird." Marlene said as she took a seat and poured herself some juice right away. Sirius mimicked her and the duo continued to laugh and talk through breakfast. Sirius and Marlene could easily talk about important subjects or corny jokes which set them apart from everyone else.

***

Lily darted to the Great Hall so she wouldn't miss breakfast. She suprisingly got ready quickly, with so much on her mind. Out of breathe, she took the only seat open, next to James.

"Wow Evans, you're out of shape." James smirked. Lily could see that even though he acted happy, his eyes were more puffy than usual.

"Sure, Potter. I bet I could beat you...in erm...runnning! Yeah running!"

"Running?" James chuckled.

"It was the only thing I could think of!" Lily slapped his arm, playfully.

"Ow Evans! You just slapped me! Maybe a kiss would help?" James pretended to cry and covered his hands over his face. He kept on peeking through the cracks of his hands to look at Lily.

"You wish!" Lily stuck her tongue at James, as if they were in their first year.

"Evans, we haven't had some alone time in ages." James stated.

"What are you trying to say?" Lily asked, curiously.

"After classes today, shall we head to the lake?" James asked, formally with a smirk.

"I would be glad to." Lily said with the same tone. It would be good to talk to James about recent events.

"You better be excited, Evans." James smiled. Lily rolled her eyes and warmly smiled at James.

***

After breakfast, Lily caught up with Remus who seemed to be avoiding her.

"Look, I think we should talk." Lily said quietly.

"Maybe the lake after classes? Oh wait, you already have plans with James!" Remus, brushed against Lily.

"Remus!" Lily walked towards him, who was trying to speed away.

"Yes?"

"Why are you acting like this?" Lily was puzzled and she didn't want one of her best friends to be mad at her. "Is it because I made plans with James? I can cancel that or you can come-"

"Why don't you just lead him on just like you do with every other boy and then crush his heart?" Remus glared at Lily.

"What? Remus, I think you're confused-"

"I'm not confused." Remus mumbled.

"Then why are you acting like this?" Lily asked, trying to keep up with Remus' speed.

"Why don't you lie to James just like everybody else does?" Remus whispered with anger.

"Everybody else does? Where are you getting this false information?" Lily asked.

"Layla was never pregnant! She has been lying to him because of you!" Remus glared at Lily once more and settled off.