Chapter 16

Used. Worthless. Lily felt ashamed of herself and spent her dark days by the lake, ignoring others. Marlene immediately picked up on it and tried to help her best friend, even though she had no clue had really happened. 

Lily kept her horrible promise and shut her mouth so James would be safe. She had tried many times to tell a professor, but Alec was always there, watching. She felt like a fool for being a victim and being black-mailed by Alec. She had trusted him and thought he really did feel something special for Lily. But she had been wrong. Again. 

Her other classmates picked up on her silence but didn't say anything since they assumed Alec was making her feel better. Alec would hug her from behind as if he cared and kissed her romantically on the check when people were watching, but as soon as they looked away he whispered a threat or slapped her quietly. 

Lily was thankful for her free period while Alec was in a class, but she never risked telling somebody about what happened during this free time since Alec's friends watched her carefully. 

Lily was laying down on the rough grass and hummed silently. She watched other Gryffindors smile and laugh, jealous of their happiness. Lily began to doze off as she relaxed peacefully for the first time in a while. 

***

Lily entered the Great Hall filled with laughter and chatted. She smiled to herself and walked towards the Gryffindor table.

"Is it the sorting?" Lily asked the energetic girl next to her who had long, wavy brown hair that shimmered in the light. The girl's eyes were a caramel brown that twinkled when she smiled. The girl didn't seem to hear or see Lily even when she repeated herself. 

The sorting hat was seated on the wooden chair and a line of first years waited nervously to be sorted. Didn't the sorting hat already happen this year? Where was Marlene, James and the others?

"Sirius Black!" A professor called, and a young Sirius stepped forward, smirking. He was placed in Gryffindor and strutted to the table. Lily could not believe it! She was watching her class being sorted. 

"Lily Evans!" Her name was called. First year Lily looked around nervously and caught eye contact with Severus. He gave her a comforting smile and she grinned back. The little Lily hopped on the chair and was decided as a Gryffindor. She ran to the seat across from Sirius and smiled warmly at the other Gryffindors. Severus looked at her sadly, as she continued to introduce herself. First year Lily never noticed Sev staring, but now seeing this memory, sixth year Lily saw everything.

"Marlene McKinnon!" The professor called out, gesturing for another first year to come. Lily didn't pay much attention to Marlene in her early years so to make up for that, she intently watched Marlene get sorted. 

Marlene whispered something to the person behind her before nervously walking towards the hat. Her hair was tied back and her bright blue eyes were shimmering. 

"Interesting....hmmm...Gryffindor!" The sorting hat called and Marlene skipped off the stage, taking the empty seat next to Sirius.

"I'm Marlene!" She giggled, introducing herself to others. Lily remembered that Marlene spent lots of time with people in different years than her, probably because Mary, Alice and I never gave her the time of day. Lily watched as the others were sorted until finally James Potter was called on stage.

"A good mind..bravery....Gryffindor!" The hat shouted over the cheers and James was welcomed to the table. The little Lily smiled warmly at the new Gryffindor boy.

"I'm Lily, Lily Evans!" Lily exclaimed, shaking James' hand.

"I'm James." James flashed a grin at Lily.

***

Lily woke up after the heart warming memory. She missed her first year, all the activities, adventures and getting to know everything. That dream made her happy inside, seeing how everyone looked back then and how she introduced herself to James. She couldn't believe that she never noticed Severus staring at her like that after she was sorted. 

"Lily." A shaky voice called. Lily jumped and prepared herself for the worse. If this was someone other than Alec or his idiotic friends, she knew now was the perfect time to tell them what has been happening to her. After seeing the first year memory, she realized life goes by too fast, whether we like it or not. If she holds this inside of her, Alec will never get caught for doing this.