Chapter 5

"Where's Alice?" Lily asked curiously, as her and Mary sat on the common room couch near the blazing fireplace. 

"With Frank, of course." Mary winked, earning a laugh off Lily. 

"Where are they?" Lily wondered aloud.

"You don't wanna know." Mary said, smirking. 

"Wanna know what?" Sirius plopped himself on the couch next to Mary, settling his arm across her shoulders. 

"What Frank and Alice are doing." Mary said, winking at Sirius.

"Oh for Merlin's sake! Why don't you two get together already?" Lily yelled exasperatedly. 

"We will as soon as you and James get together." Sirius exclaimed.

"James and I? Are you serious? We are just f-friends! Just friends!" Lily's face turned beet red and stood up quickly, getting away from the scene.

"Just friends, sure." Mary giggled and nuzzled her head against Sirius' shoulder. "I'm going to miss you over the summer." 

"I'll write to you, everyday if you want! I'll send you my toilet seat if you really want!" Sirius exclaimed, earning a giggle from Mary.

"A toilet seat? How would that help anything?" Mary briskly said.

"Oh come on, Mary! You know you want a toilet seat!" Sirius winked. 

"You know me so well." Mary said, rolling her eyes.

Lily could not believe she would be leaving tomorrow! This school year had gone by so fast! She finished packing and began getting ready for her night Prefect duties. Alice stumbled into the room, giggling non-stop.

"Alice?" No response. "Hello? Earth to Alice!" Lily exclaimed, walking closer to the obviously drunk Alice. 

"H-He is just so charming!" Alice slurred, falling onto Layla's bed. Lily didn't have enough time to fully treat her friend so she quickly grabbed a blanket to wrap her in. Lily said goodbye to Alice, even though she had no clue what was going on, and darted down the stairs.

"Lilyflower." A voice that she automatically recognized.

"James I'm sorry but I'm late- are you okay?"  Lily could easily see the tears in James' eyes, but she knew she couldn't comfort him or else she would get in trouble for being late.

"James I'm so sorry but I really have to go, I promise when I get back, I'll help." And with that, Lily fled the common room. 

Her Prefect duties went by as slowly as possible. She couldn't help but worry about James.

"Is James alright?" Lily asked Remus as they patrolled the corridors. 

"He's upset about his father. His mother sent him an owl that said something about it but he wouldn't tell anyone." Remus sighed, staring sadly into Lily's eyes. 

"I feel horrible! I didn't get to talk to him since I was running late for my duty!" Lily whispered, staring at her feet.

"I'm sure he won't mind, he understands." Remus said reassuringly. He changed the subject to make Lily feel better and eventually prefect duties ended. Lily rushed to the common room with Remus at her heels. 

"Where's James?" She asked instantly. 

"Erm..he's in the library!" Sirius said quickly, avoiding Lily's glare. 

"The library?" Lily stepped closer to Sirius, Mary and Peter.

"He's studying!" Mary said, her face turning redder by the minute. 

"Studying? On the last night?" Lily questioned.

"What are you guys talking about? He's in his dorm with Layla!" Peter said, giving a confused look. 

"His dorm? With Layla?" Lily exclaimed. She didn't wait for an answer, she darted up the stairs without hesitation to find out what was going on.