Chapter 12

"Potion's class first?" Marlene asked Lily, as she munched on her eggs. 

"Yes." Lily replied, glancing over the Daily Prophet. Marlene occasionally glanced at Sirius who was mindlessly flirting with every desperate girl. 

"Marls, you don't wanna get caught in his business. Trust me." Lily whispered, worried for Marlene, who seemed interested in Sirius. 

"Hey Marlene! Hey Lily!" Layla formed a smile that looked hard to accomplish and jumped into the empty seat next to Lily. 

"What do you want?" Lily asked cooly while Marlene glared at the unexpected vistor. Lily wasn't the type to be rude to a person, she usually found the good in everyone but Layla was an exception. 

"I just wanted to visit my girlies!" Layla chirped, reaching across the table to grab pumkin juice. She purposely let her hands slip and the juice spilled all over Lily causing all the Gryffindors to gasp and look.

"Oops!" Layla exclaimed, rolling her eyes slightly. 

"You bit-" Marlene began to say but was cut off immediately by Lily. 

"It's fine! Accidents happen, right?" Lily chirped, faking a smile.

"An accident just like when she slept with James?" Marlene mumbled. 

Lily laughed lightly at Marlene's comment and snatched a napkin, to dab over her robe. Marlene grabbed Lily's arm and began to strut out of the dining hall. 

"Some girlfriend you have, huh?" Lily whispered to James as they passed by, earning a laugh off Sirius who was sitting nearby.

***

"There will be a Slughorn party to honor the beginning of this new school year!" Professor Slughorn called out to his class, grinning from ear to ear.

"Are dates required?" A Hufflepuff yelled.

"You know the answer to that." Slughorn winked to the confused Hufflepuff.

"Baby! We have to go together!" Layla exclaimed to James, loud enough for the whole class to hear. Lily turned to Marlene and gagged causing Remus and Sirius to both laugh. 

Lily turned to the right and spotted a Hufflepuff intently staring at her. She poked Marlene lightly so Marlene could see what was going on. 

"Ask him to go with you to the party." Marlene whispered, giggling lightly. 

"No way! I hardly know him." Lily whispered, shaking her head.

"He's better than Peter." Marlene giggled.

"Peter?" 

"Oh, come on! He totally has a thing for you! He just won't admit it because of James." Marlene mumbled, smiling.

"Ew." Lily muttered, earning a soft laugh from Marlene. 

Lily looked back at the Hufflepuff boy, Alec and then glanced over to James. They caught eye contact and James smirked which caused Lily to do the same. Lily had to make the ultimate decision between Alec, a new boy or James, the one she is in love with but is taken by Layla.