Chapter 39

"What?" Marlene exclaimed. "She can't do that!" Sirius' hand went up to Marlene's mouth to shush her but even he looked just as upset.

"My poor Jily heart." He mumbled, still watching Lily and James talk about their relationship from behind the couches.

Remus and Peter both had dull looks on their faces as they watched James and Lily, nobody really wanted James and Lily to break up after all of this time.

"It seems like everything goes against us." Lily said, swallowing the large lump in her throat. She took a deep breath and pushed her front pieces of hair out of her face. "The odds aren't with us."

"But Lily-"

"James, I think it's for the best. I understand you were set up by Layla but I don't think I can handle all of this unnecessary and false alarming drama." Lily admitted as she averted her eyes to the ground, unable to really look at the pained James who's mouth was in the 'o' shape.

For once in his life, James was out of words. He had no clue what to say. The love of his life was slowly slipping away from his grasp.

"Please just let me explain-" James tried to say but then closed his mouth again. He was at loss for words and didn't know what he could say that would make the situation any better.

Sirius then jumped up and ran over to James and Lily followed by an upset Marlene. "You guys can't just let Layla win and ruin your relationship. You just can't do that!" Sirius said with a serious tone, for once.

"Sirius is right which is surprising." Marlene giggled after getting a nudge from Sirius. "You guys are that couple everybody wants to be! You can't let that slip away."

"Yeah, what about Jily?" Remus says as he walks next to Marlene who is nodding her head in agreement.

"Jily?" James asks, smirking the slightest bit. "Who made that up?"

"I'd like to pretend that I did but really it was Sirius and I together." Marlene said proudly, patting herself on the back. "But anyways, Lily you can't just do this. You have to be brace and take risks-"

"I think we should just talk about it in the morning." Lily cleared her throat as she bit her bottom lip nervously. "I think we've had enough for tonight."

Lily started to walk away before a thought entered her mind. "Oh and James?" She said and James immediately perked his head up. "Take this, it was supposed to be a gift for you and I don't want to keep it anymore." Lily reached into her bag that was bewitched to be bigger than it actually appears and handed James a broomstick, the one that he's said he needs.

"Good night, everyone. Marlene I'll see you when you come up to the dormitory." And with that, Lily Evans walked away leaving James' grasp once again.

***

"Marls, I'm not kidding." Lily said with a serious tone. She looked around to make sure nobody was listening and leaned in again. "He looked exactly like Alec, it was scary."

"So what did you do?" Marlene gasped as she covered her mouth with her hands. Marlene's blonde hair was pulled up in a high pony tail that was out of her fresh face. Her bright and dazzling blue eyes watched Lily closely as she told her what happened at the Three Broomsticks.

"So what exactly did you do?" Marlene repeated as intently listened as her best friend kept talking.

"I pretended I didn't recognize him, of course." Lily replied but averted her eyes to the ground as she took a deep breath. "I really don't know who it was though. It could of been Alec's relative, friend or Alec himself." Lily admitted as Marlene's hands fell dramatically from her mouth and grabbed Lily's hands. "No!" Marlene exclaimed.

"It can't be Alec, can it?" Marlene tilted her head as she wondered whether or not it could or couldn't be. "I mean he was expelled from
Hogwarts but that doesn't mean he can't go to the Three Broomsticks."

"Don't you think he would of tried something on me though if it actually was him?" Lily asked as she pondered the options.

"Well it seemed like you escaped him before he could of tried something, thank god! I could not love without my best friend!" Marlene exclaimed, wrapping her arms around Lily. "Because you help me with my Potions homework." Marlene mumbled the second part softly and Lily immediately slapped her on the arm.

"Marlene!"

"I'm kidding!" Marlene says as she giggles. "Ok maybe not." She mumbles again as Lily slaps her around.

"Okay, now I'm not helping you with Potions anymore." Lily says sassily, lifting herself up from the common room couch and heading for the door. "I'm going to do my own homework now." Lily smirks as she emphasizes the word 'own' in that sentence.

"Lily! No I need you-"

Lily ignored Marlene's pleading calls for homework help and laughs to herself. No matter what, Marlene could always make Lily smile. Lily could be upset about anything or anyone and it seemed like Marlene would know the right thing to do or say in order to make Lily grin from ear to ear. And that was honestly Lily's overall favorite quality about Marlene and nothing could change that. Ever.

Lily strolled through the corridor, making her way to the library. One of Lily's favorite places since she could relax and study at the same time. Plus, nobody was hardly ever there because most people were eating or in their common rooms so Lily could have peace to herself.

Lily walked by a few paintings that seemed to be engrossed in their own conservations. Since Lily was still upset about what happened with James last night, she decided to talk to them.

"Hey guys!" She warmly smiled at the people in a particular portrait which was a group of people sitting on a wooden table with a blue sky scenery behind them. It was truly a beautiful painting but the people within in were not because they didn't dare respond to Lily and acted like she wasn't there.

Lily giggled to herself and shrugged as she walked away from the paintings. Because she wasn't paying attention since she was still laughing from the rejection of the paintings, she ran into someone.

"Lily." They spoke in their all to familiar voice.

***

AN: Thanks for reading! Love you all!! <3 :) :D more updates coming your way!!!