Chapter 54

Tony's POV:

I wake up this morning pooped from a day with Abby trying to cheer me up. Even though she was still a little furious with me keeping the secret of Tim being alive, she forgave me and pitied me for being and feeling so alone.

She tried to distract me with food. She took me to music stores, bookstores, and bribed me with coffee. I wasn't the happiest person to be around, but I tried, and she knew that.

I thanked her after I dropped her off to pick up her car. When I drove home the emptiness killed me in the car that I tried to fill it with the sound of the radio.

I got back into my apartment and fell to the bed. I was exhausted from sharing a bed with Tim the night before. I don't know if it was because it was twin that it was uncomfortable to share, or because the bed was just uncomfortable on its own.

The past two days have been a roller coaster of emotions that I don't want to get out of bed today. Ever since I opened my eyes this morning, I haven't moved out of bed. I don't feel like it's my time to start living today and don't want to deal with almost everyone close to me hating me.

I say almost everyone when it's just Melissa and Ziva. It's because they're not just my friends, but my family. I messed that up.

I think about falling back asleep when my phone starts to ring. I have a feeling that it's Gibbs and I don't want to answer it. He's probably calling to tell me he's on his way over to convince me to stop feeling sorry for myself, even though he would be right about that.

When I look at my phone, I notice that's the reason we always go with his gut feelings, because it isn't Gibbs in the slightest. It's Melissa.

I rush to answer it and try to sound put together. "Hello?" My voice was high pitched, so that probably wasn't convincing.

"Hey. How fast can you be ready for me to come over there."

I look at the clock and it's 10:50am. "About ten minutes?" I ask instead of say.

"Good."

"Melissa."

"W-" She pauses. "Look we can talk when I get there. I'm getting a call back.

She hangs up the phone and I freeze for a second that she's really coming over here. Then, it clicks in that she's on her way and I have to be ready.

I'm in and out of the shower with in five minutes. I'm dressed and blow dried by four. I'm trying to make the place look nice, but it's always put together. This makes me think that I should change it up a little bit, but I can't do that within a minute.

Before I can think about pouring drinks, there's a knock at my door and I freeze.

Shit.

I got ready physically, but I didn't mentally prepare myself for this.

I try to fix my collared shirt and tuck it into my pants quickly before I open the door. I can feel my heart beating out of my chest.

I take a deep breath and I open the door with the most terrifying smile on my face.

"Welcome!" I shout.

"Hi." She says walking past me, leaving me with the embarrassment of what just happened.

I close the door slowly, feeling my face getting red. I sigh as I turn around and see her standing at the opposite side of the room.

"Please sit."

"It's okay." She answers fast. "I'm not going to be here long. Tim drove me."

"Oh, okay." The man who isn't mad at me and I kissed his wife. When I tell you I never thought I would be in a situation like this I mean it. Except I put myself here. What did I think was going to happen?

I look at her t-shirt and denim shorts. That's Melissa alright. She's back. "Do you guys have big plans today now that he's back?"

"We're going food shopping. I gave up cooking and now that he's back I'll be starting it up again."

I shake my head. This has never been this way between us. I'm protective of her and care for her so much, and I brought our relationship here.

"Melissa, I-" Before I can finish what I barely started she comes from across the room. She grabs my face and kisses me on the lips.

This is not what I expected, but I close my eyes anyway. I don't move my hands. I can't.

She slowly pulls away from me. I open my eyes and see that she's still opening hers. She swallows and looks up at me. "Now tell me that you felt something."

I don't want to do this to her again, but I have to. I've lied to her this entire time and have to make it up to her by telling the truth.

"No."

"No, what?"

She's really going to make me say it. "No, I didn't feel anything."

"Neither did I." She says walking back to where she was standing before.

I take a deep breath and finally tell her what I've wanted to since this whole debacle happened.

"Melissa, I am so sorry that I didn't tell you about Tim. Most of all I'm sorry I pursued something with you knowing that he was."

"I know you are."

She isn't looking at me, but I can tell she has other things to say. I deserve to hear them. No matter how horrible it is, it will be for the best.

"I'm sorry too." I hear her say as she looks back at me.

"What?" Now I'm completely lost. "Melissa you didn't even know what was going on."

"Not for that. I'm sorry for slapping you and I'm sorry for pursuing something with you when I never even saw a future with you."

I can tell that admitting to that hurts her because of the way she's looking at me. "There was never a future with us was there?"

"No, because I knew your heart was forever going to be with him." She shakes her head. "And don't apologize for slapping me. I deserved it. I knew that we would come to an end."

"So, did I."

She starts to walk towards me again and I know it isn't to give me a kiss. I see her reach into her pocket, and she takes out my dad's class ring. I forgot I gave that to her as a symbol for me coming back.

I came back, but not to her.

She takes my hand and puts the ring in it. She has tears in her eyes, but she looks at me anyways. "And I want you to know I could never hate you."

Hearing those words gives me so much relief. I pull her into a hug before I can process what to say.

"I didn't mean it."

"I know." I tell her. I didn't really, but it's great to hear her say that.

"But, um." She pulls out of a hug and leaves me holding the ring. "I will be so pissed at you if you don't get it right this time."

I stare at her for more information. "Huh?" That's when I hear a familiar voice behind me.

"Alright, I'm here." I turn and face the door that I closed and didn't lock. Ziva is standing in the doorway. "To be clear I came here because Melissa asked me to."

I look at Melissa with confusion and wanting to get out of this situation. Then, Melissa hugs me and whispers into my ear. "You know I'm not the one who deserves that ring."

Just like that, she lets go of me and starts heading towards the door. Her and Ziva just give each other a smile and she's out the door just like that, closing it behind her.

"Alright." Ziva begins. "Why am I here?"