Chapter 22

Melissa's POV:

Melissa's POV:

I didn't purposely not reach out to Tony for as long as I did. I just wanted to take time to think about what I had just done. It took me long enough for Gibbs to make appointments for the agents.

I was glad Jack snuck into my office and told me about it right when Tony did. It proved that I had no idea this was going to happen, even though I know he would believe me.

I'm now catching my breath from kissing Tony again. I've become hot and try not to make it noticeable to Ziva, who is sitting in the chair Tony was just in.

"So, I heard Gibbs scheduled these appointments. I didn't get a chance to ask Tony why he thought he did that." I didn't get a chance to ask him anything.

She's rubbing her hands together. She looks nervous and shaky. "I guess he saw that something was going on, but no one was talking about it."

I feel my heart stop. "What?" I clear my throat. "I mean what do you think we're not talking about?"

"It's me. I'm the one that's not talking."

Oh, thank god. We finally get to talk about someone else and not me. It's been months and right now, what I have to say about myself is something I know some people wouldn't understand. Damn it, I don't even understand, but I can't say I don't like it.

"What's been bothering you?" She has my full attention now that I'm not being selfish and worrying about myself.

When I look at Ziva I see she's breathing heavy and her eyes are watering. "Ziva?"

"I'm sorry." She sniffles. I get up to go in front of my desk to sit on it to be closer to her.

I deserve to feel like shit now, being worried about my secret rendezvous while Ziva is in this state I've never seen her in before.

I hand her a tissue. "It's fine. I didn't know you needed to talk that bad. I thought since Gibbs made the appointment, the whole thing was forced."

"It is but it's necessary because I'm not apologizing for crying." She wipes her nose and she still can't look at me. I let her cry it out for a moment. I know sometimes all I need is a minute. I hope that's what she needs. I've never really seen Ziva like this before.

"I'm sorry because I know that I should have reacted sooner. I should have seen him and shot him before he got Tim."

Nope, it isn't over, not for Ziva. "Oh, honey."

"I know that I did the right thing because if I made myself known, all of us could be dead. It's just I still feel like somehow there could have been away for me to get away with it."

"No, there wasn't, and I know you don't need me to tell you that." She said it herself that we could all be dead if she made herself known. I don't recall where she was because I know I couldn't see her. I didn't know where anyone was besides Tim.

"You know I thought he was safe too." She picks her head up to finally look at me. There's a tear resting on her cheek. I wipe it away while I have her. "I thought the way that I was in the middle of the entire place, and him being behind a wall was enough to protect him."

She sucks her lips in and I can tell she's trying to suck the tears back in again. "He saved my life. He saved all of us."

"I know I just felt horrible and had to tell you because I felt it was selfish of me to bring it up while you're getting back in the house, it's still a fresh wound, and you're..."

She doses off into thought. I don't interrupt her because everything she's saying is sticking with me. If the wound is still fresh, what am I doing with Tony. It's been months since I've lost him and haven't felt anything until Tony came back into my life. I can follow my own feelings and I'll forever know that I will never stop loving Tim. Is this a normal thing for me to do though.

"Um." Ziva takes me out of my mind. "I'm sorry. I just noticed. You're not wearing your ring anymore?"

I look down at my hand and now realize why my hand is so cold. Or is it just that empty feeling coming over me again?

"Ziva, you know that his death isn't your fault, right?"

"I know that. Especially, now that you said it."

"Then, can we hang out after work. You can come over if you're comfortable"

She smiles. She rises from her seat and hugs me. "I would love nothing more."

I can't believe Ziva has been keeping this in for so long. We can talk about it more later along with something she might hate me for.

I walk her to the door and open it for her. "Ziva, you and Tim saved all of us. I'm lucky that I'm here to thank you for it. So, thank you."

She smiles when we hear shouting coming from downstairs. "Get off!"

Ziva and I share a look and run to the railing to see what's going on.

We see Abby, shouting at someone who left papers on Tim's old desk.

"Abby." I run down the stairs with Ziva behind.

When we get into the middle of the room, Tony is holding Abby by the shoulders to keep her away from someone who, I'm sure no one hear has ever seen.

"I'm sorry. I was going to drop everything and made a pitstop here."

"A pitstop? This isn't a pitstop this is desk where someone works." I can see the smoke coming out of her ears. I better stop this before something uncalled for happens.

"Abby." I maneuver between her and Tony and bring her focus to me. "Come on, it was a mistake."

She doesn't say anything. She could burn a hole through his head if she could.

I turn to the guy who looks like his life flashed before his eyes. "You can go." I tell him.

He does something smart and takes my advice. I look back at Abby who now look mad at me.

"Really?" Tony is now standing between us. "I thought out of all people you would have said something defending this desk. Why didn't you do anything?"

"Because it isn't him Abby." I see her shoulders fall as she looks between me and the desk. I go to her, and Tony moves out of the way. "It's not him Abby."

I'm giving her that piece of advice as if I just didn't start following it myself.

She shakes her head. "You're right. I should probably apologize."

"No," I pull her back. "Let's just get you back to work. I know that always makes you feel better."

She shakes her head. I look at Tony who shakes his head in approval. I can't stare at him too long or doing this for Abby will just make me feel worse.

"Ziva, you know where I'll be."

She shakes her head with a light smile.

"Come on. Let's go see whose blood will tell their story today."