Chapter 12

Tony's POV:

Tony's POV:

I jump awake to the sound of someone screaming.

Melissa.

"Melissa!" I shout and get tangled getting out of my sleeping bag. I ran to the couch and bring her into my arms. I can already feel the tears on my shirt.

"I'm sorry." She says into it. "I thought I had control. I knew it was a dream and tried to wake up, but I couldn't."

"Sh. Sh. Sh." I rub her back and move to the couch to hold her there. "It's okay. This isn't your fault."

This reminds me of the night I held her in the elevator. As hard as it was to see her like that, I have to admit I felt important in her life at that time and I liked it. At that time, I didn't feel like I was a part of her life as I once was like in the beginning. I always hated myself for letting her slip away from me.

You know in the friendship type of way.

"This is why I'm here Melissa. I wanted to see if you would still have the dream if someone was here with you."

I don't know what came over me when Gibbs let Melissa leave work early. I was worried about her the whole time and I was lucky Gibbs didn't notice. If he did he didn't say anything.

All I did was think about her and next thing you know, I was at the store buying a sleeping bag.

I knew that meant sleeping on the floor, which I never do alone either, but I didn't want to repeat the other night.

As much as she slept better with me here, I slept better with her next to me.

When I woke up I remembered that I can't do that. He's still alive and even if he wasn't, I can't do that. It's wrong.

Now that I have her in my arms, I don't want to let her go again, and I don't think she'll let me.

Then, she moves and my heart aches a little.

"It's just this stupid dream! I swear it's been months since this happened, I feel so pathetic."

"Hey."

"I looked it up okay. I looked up how long accepting death takes, and an article said that I should be able to sleep better now and be back to my normal life and I'm not."

"Because most people don't see their loved ones shot in front of them." I can't believe I had to be specific with that phrase. This sucks.

I hear her catching her breath. She gets up to get a tissue and wipe the sweat off of her forehead. "What time is it?"

I check my watch. "It's 2:30."

I want to stay, but I feel like I can't. I know she needs me too, but I shouldn't.

"Well, I'm sorry." She comes back to the couch and sits next to me.

"Don't apologize." She lays down on the couch with me on the edge of it. "Are you trying to fall back asleep?"

"I never can after that dream." I look at her and her eyes are wide open.

"That's not true." I take her hand. It's still cold as it was the other day, but in her case, it is a little cold in here.

I know I said I couldn't do this again but look at her. I can't say no. Not that she asked.

"Come here." I have her sit up so she can use my lap as a pillow. I've slept in worse positions.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

She moves around to get comfortable. My hand gravitates toward her head and I start to move her hair out of her face.

"Melissa?"

"Yeah."

"I know it's none of my business, but I don't want you to go to work tomorrow."

I hear her sigh. "Tony."

"This may take a while, but I don't think it's a good idea until you have one good night's sleep." I wait for her to respond, but she doesn't. I think I finally over stepped.

"Melissa I'm not trying to-" I look down and I see her eyes closed. She's asleep.

She looks so peaceful. I could tell after her first day back that she looked tired. I wish she would take more time if she needed. I don't know where that stupid article got it stats, but it doesn't include her. She's different.

I look down and see her fast asleep and decide to take one of the pillows and lean my head back. Somehow, even I'm having an easier time falling asleep.

I wake up to my alarm and wish it didn't go off.  I turn it off and realize something is missing. I don't feel the weight of a girl on my lap anymore.

I didn't feel her move at all. "Melissa?"

"In the kitchen!"

I get up and even though the position wasn't the greatest, it was a great night sleep.

I go to her and she hands me a cup of coffee to go. "Are you kicking me out?"

She laughs. "No, I just know you have to go to work."

"Does that mean you're not coming today?"

She shakes her head. "You're my friend Tony and I asked you to be honest with me. You have been and I have to take your opinion into consideration for all you've done for me."

I'm relieved and smacking myself at the same time. This is good for her, but now I don't have much to look forward to at work.

"Did you at least get some sleep?"

She pours herself a cup. "Yes, I guess my body just decided to wake up early."

Jesus.

"Good." Shit my voice just cracked. "I guess I'll be going then. Um..."

She looks at me with her wide eyes and I almost fall to my knees.

"Oh! Don't worry. I already told Gibbs that I wasn't coming in today."

It's cute that she thinks that's what I wanted to talk about. "Right. Well, I'll be off."

"Hey." I turn around and see her coming over to me. "Thank you for everything. I'm sorry for waking you."

I rest my head on hers. My stomach feels weird. What is this? "I'll see you later okay?"

She shakes her head. "Okay."

I walk out of her house with the weird feeling still in my stomach. This is the second time I've walked out in public in my pajamas.

Work is the least of my problems. There's someone else I've got to see.