Chapter 40

Tony's POV:

Tony's POV:

"Do you guys have any food in here?" I ask Probie as he's sitting on the couch.

I've been walking on eggshells ever since I walked into this house. I had to use a specific knock since it was only Tim here and he can't look through the blinds for a second or someone will see him.

"Not really." He answers me. "He usually brings something home and I just eat it."

If someone would have told me that I could have picked something up. "Do you want me to go out and get something?"

I walk out of the kitchen, but he doesn't pay me much attention. "I mean I'm not hungry, but if you want something, go right ahead."

If he's not hungry I'm not going to get anything. I'm not going to put his life at risk for a second time more than I already have today.

I join him on the couch as he watches a documentary on the war. "You really have been in this house too long."

He chuckles. "You're telling me."

The last thing I want to do is have small talk with someone who was once my best friend. I don't want to be bored all night either. I could be with her and everyone, but I can't because I don't want to lose Probie for real this time.

I try to brig up a subject I think he would enjoy. "Are you ready for this to be over?"

"I am for sure. Are you?"

I should have seen that one coming.

He gave me his blessing about seeing Melissa. He didn't give it to me for my happiness, but for hers. He said he was fine because she'll end up back in his arms. It was okay because he was feeling guilt at the time about leaving her for as long as he is and wanting her to be happy, as long as it was temporarily with someone else.

"I am actually." I'll miss her deeply, but this is what I get for getting involved with her after I found out everything. Maybe things would be different if things happened sooner, but somehow, I doubt that.

I look back at him, and he's making an annoyed face for no reason. "Probie, you'll be back with her before you know it."

He reaches for the remote and turns off the TV. "Let me ask you something."

Damn it. I thought we got this out of the way the last time when he punched me in the face. The bruise is gone by the way Tim, thank you for asking.

"You're telling me that you liked her this entire time but backed off because you saw how much she meant to me before we even told you guys what was going on?"

"Yes." We went over this.

"And if I didn't show how much I liked her, you would have gone for it."

"I don't know." I really don't. When it came to her it was like everything was a secret. I had to act like I didn't know about her not going to college just like Tim did. I don't know where this is coming from if he's about to be set free.