Chapter 41

Melissa's POV:

Melissa's POV:

"You have a what?"

"A brother. He lives in New Jersey and he has a daughter. I have a niece, Melissa."

Sean learned a few things before going fully into the witness protection program that the government thought he should know. It was for his safety or something like that.

"My dad had him when he was young and only gave him and the woman so much money that he could. There was a point they told him to stop and then he moved on with his life. He's a little young himself for today's standards. He's only older than me by a few years and already has more sons but doesn't see them like he see's her. Her name is Brook and she's 9."

"That's great, Sean." We've been talking about this other family of his all morning. It's nice to see him so happy about something and not stressing over what could happen while he's still here.

"Have you talked to them?"

"I did when I was on the plane here. I called them and I was lucky that he was the one who answered. The second I said that my last name was Gonzales, he knew who I was. We got to talking and he said he never met our dad, but he saw pictures and knew about him. He doesn't blame me or anyone for anything. He said his life is turning out pretty well and won't complain about something that doesn't have to be fixed."

I look at him and see that he's more ecstatic than anything else to talk about this family like this. "Are you going to see them?"

He shrugs but with excitement. "I hope to one day. I don't know what will happen with me and Amanda. We started our life in Wyoming in her hometown. I don't want to take that away from her."

"I asked if you were going to visit not move there. Are you thinking about it?"

He sits up from laying on the couch to look at me when he tells me this. "Brook is nine, Melissa. She's older than we were by a year when things went wrong. I can be there for her if I have to and make a change if she needs me."

I forget sometimes how mature we are when we're together. We had to grow up fast and we're both finally doing something with all the things that we've learned. We're helping people that might feel how we once felt before. I guess this is what real growth looks like.

Sean looks around my office and smiles. "I still can't believe this is what you do. This is really amazing. I'm so proud of you."

Sean has a cool job too. He's a construction worker for a company that gives deals and fixes house for free sometimes due to storms or tragedies. "I'm proud of you too."

"Hey." I look back up at him from staring at my hands. "Last night, when I was talking to Abby, she also told me that James passed away."

I did intend on telling him last night, but we were all catching up on the good times. It was as if life was peaceful for a bit and we could laugh and smile without feeling guilty. It's why I started thinking of Tony and wished he were there. I just didn't want to ruin the mood.