Chapter 29

Melissa's POV:

Melissa's POV:

With it being a slow day, and Jack not being here, I decide now is the best time to visit Abby. It's not like last time when I felt like I couldn't be alone. It's because if no one has told her already, I want to be the one to tell her about me and Tony.

She was the first person who knew about me and Tim. I didn't mean it purposely, but for a while I was the one who left her out of the loop of my life, and I don't want to do this again. I don't want to go backwards.

"Hey." I say as I walk into her lab.

"Hey." She sings with a smile. "What's going on?"

"I was wondering if you had a second."

"Anything for you." I get to her and she takes her googles off and looks at me with a smile.

I don't know how she will react when I tell her. She loved Tim and I know she loves Tony, so I'm not sure which way this will go.

"What's up?"

Spitting it out just isn't working for me like it used to. "Well, I wanted to tell you this just in case you already didn't know."

She tilts her head and is waiting for me to speak.

"Others know, but that's not what we wanted to happen. It wasn't supposed to get out the way it did."

"Melissa, what's going on?"

"Tony and I have been seeing each other."

She just stares at me. She still has the smile on her face, but not showing any other emotion is throwing me off.

"This wasn't planned. It was the last thing I ever thought would happen, but it's happening. We aren't rushing into anything because of the circumstances, but we are seeing where it's going. I didn't want everyone else to know and not you. It wasn't even supposed to be out yet, but we messed up in an area. I just thought you should know."

I continue to look at her and her face hasn't moved. Neither has she. "Please, say something."

She comes from across the table and when I think that she's about to let me have it, she wraps her arms around me. I'm shocked at first and hug her back softly. "You're not mad?"

She laughs and lets me go. "No, no. I'm not mad at all." She wipes her nose and takes a hold of my hands. "Melissa, I took what you said to heart the other day and it really opened my eyes for me."

She must be talking about the desk. That's the last time I talked to her. "Just because you lose someone doesn't mean you have to stop living your life. Am I little thrown off that it's Tony? A little. But am I relieved that you're 'seeing' someone that we all trust and most of all Tim trusted? Yes, I am."

I never thought of it that way. Now, if only she can get others to think the same way, we would all be as okay as we can be. I hug her again because that was the best answer, I've gotten about us. It was an answer I really needed.

"But what were you talking about when you said it got out?" She asks me and I let her go.

"Ziva saw us at a restaurant the other night. No one knew but us."

She shakes her head. "That explains the bickering."

I assume she's talking about when Ziva and Tony left my office. "Yeah, they always bicker though don't they."

"Yeah, I just think Ziva liked being in the dark. She was very cold to Tony yesterday. At least she was in here."

That's what I didn't want to happen either. I should really start listening to my gut again instead of my feelings.

"Don't worry though, this is something that they get over quickly."

I sure hope so. I'm willing to work on this if he is. I just need to see that from him, I guess.

 I just need to see that from him, I guess

Tony's POV:

This morning is quiet. Ziva is still giving me the cold shoulder and is only telling Gibbs information even though I'm here working on this too.

I know she doesn't like how she found out and she doesn't like what I'm doing, but when it comes to this case, feelings need to be put aside.

I see that she gets up from her desk and heads to the elevator. I jump up when I think she's far enough and go after her. When the door opens, she see's me and tries to run in and close the door, but she's too slow and I throw myself on the elevator with her.

I look at her and she rolls her eyes. "What's going on with you?" I ask and I expect answer. "I told you I wanted to tell you about this, and I apologized. I don't understand why you're giving me the cold shoulder."

She just shakes her head. "It isn't right."

I don't expect her to understand, but I know she's well aware that it takes two to tango. "Look, okay. Be mad at me all you want. But what about Melissa? What you said yesterday wasn't the nicest."

She turns to me for a second, just to look away from me again. "Yeah, that wasn't my finest moment, but that's something I will deal with."

"But you're still mad at me, right?"

Before I can get an answer, the elevator door opens, and she storms off.

I don't want to do this, but it just slips out. "I don't understand why you're being so stubborn!"

I can't tell whether it's my words or the raise in my voice that makes her march over to me angerly.

She gets in my face, but I don't budge. "You know what? I am. Because while I was upset about not shooting the guy fast enough for Tim, I bet he's rolling over in his grave by seeing you with his widow."

The sting of her words get to me. I have nothing more to say to her.

She stares at me for a moment and then walks back to wherever she was headed.

I'm left in the hallway alone, replaying her word in my head and thinking about, what if it were true. If he was really dead, would I be taking my chance with her while I could?

To Ziva, he's dead. To me, he's someone that just punched me in the face, and Ziva never asked about the bruise on my nose.

Not once.