Chapter 14

Melissa's POV:

When I hear the doorbell, I think Tony forgot something. I look down and notice that his sleeping bag is still here. I thought it was because he was going to come back over tonight. Maybe he changed his mind.

I wouldn't blame him. I probably scared the crap out of him when I woke him up by screaming. I would be on my guard too if that were the case for anyone else.

I'm confused, but surprised when I get to the door and Gibbs is standing on my doorstep.

"Hey, Melissa."

I smile because I am happy to see him. I just didn't expect an unannounced visit. "Gibbs, come in."

He walks into the house he's only been to once. He remembers where to go since I watch him make his way to the kitchen. "What are you doing here? Not that I mind. I just thought you would be at work."

"Well, I wanted to see how you were doing since this is the second day you're working from home, and you just started working at NCIS again."

Well, that was a lovely greeting. He doesn't beat around the bush.

I sigh because this is something we never talked about. He didn't come over to Abby's while I was there. He called me, but the last time I saw him before walking into NCIS for the first time in months, was at the funeral. He stood by me with Ziva and Tony.

It was weird because I noticed Tony giving him nasty looks and giving him the cold shoulder, but I didn't ask. I didn't say much that day.

"Coffee?" I know I need another cup if we're going over this again.

"Please. I didn't have any this morning."

He didn't have coffee, and he came here wanting to talk about this? I can't be the only one going through things.

I get us both coffees, and we're sitting at the island. "Thank you." He says as I sip mine.

"I'm fine really." I take the bull by the horns. "I just can't sleep again now that I'm back at the house. It's just something I'm going to have to get used to."

He shakes his head and drinks his coffee. "This is good."

That's it? That's what he says after figuring out why I called out once. The first time, Tony technically did it for me.

"I checked and made sure that I had no appointments. I told Jack if someone comes by to see me, ask them if they could wait, or give them my number."

"Melissa, I didn't come here to judge you or question why you aren't at work."

Well that's a relief because the second I get judgment I don't know how I'll react to that.

"As your father, I came here to see if you were okay. As your boss, I came here to tell you I would be doing the same thing if it were Tony and Ziva."

"What do you mean?"

"Melissa, we all understand this is hard on you. It would be weird if you weren't acting the way you are being back in your house. You're still healing, and we understand that."

That's a relief. With the way he came in here I thought that he was going to ask me not to work from home, and to come in when I'm ready. I rather be in one day and out the next instead of not being there at all.

"Thank you."

I look at his mug, and his coffee is already empty. "Would you like another one?"

"No, no. Thank you. I-" He stops to clear his throat and have himself look me in the eyes again.

"Yes?"

He sighs and finally commits to talking. "I wanted to apologize for-"

Oh, shit. I know where this is going. "No, Gibbs, you don't have to."

"Yes, I do."

"He was like a son to you." I catch him off guard with that and he doesn't finish apologizing. That's good because if he were, somehow that would make me feel worse.

"I know you were just projecting how you were feeling. You put that on me because you were angry with what was happening. He was like your son, and I saw what happened and you don't like not being in control."

He just stares at me with his mouth opened. After a while, he starts to laugh and look at me again. "You may not be at work, but you really haven't stopped working have you."

"Never have." I'm glad he wasn't insulted by my comments. I almost feel as if I should apologize, but I won't. It's the truth and it's shown in the way he isn't arguing with me.

"Well, I am sorry. I have to say that, or I'll never forgive myself."

I get a text and check to see it's from Tony. Usually, I would wait until my conversation with Gibbs was over, but I pick it up immediately.

I hope everything is okay over there. I hope to see you tonight.

I put the phone down and put my attention back to Gibbs. "I forgave you a long time ago."

He smiles. "Well," He starts fixing his jacket, I get up with him because I know this is goodbye for now. "now that I know you're okay and got that off my chest, I better get going."

I walk him to the door. "Thank you for stopping by." I wrap my arms around him, and he hugs me back. I can't see him, but I know he's smiling.

"Thank you." He says. He opens the door and he waves while walking out. "Goodbye."

"I'll see you soon." I tell him.

When I close the door and I'm left by myself again, I take his visit as a sign. I confided in Tony and told him that I'm scared to move on. Though, I can't move on if I'm blocking myself off from certain aspects of my life. I need to do this if I want to get better.

That's all I want to do. I want to get better and not forget him.

Tony assured me that I could never., so I'm taking that piece of advice with me until the end.

I know it's early, but whoever said it's five o'clock somewhere is my hero. I look at some of the alcohol I have left over from the wedding and pick one to go with how I'm feeling.

Coconut rum because I rather be anywhere else than this lifetime.

I go to my phone on the counter and call Tony back.

"Hey, Melissa. Are you okay?"

I sip my drink and let the burn hit my throat. "Yes, I was just letting you know I hope to see you later too."