Chapter 11

Melissa's POV:

I never knew why Tim had so many TV dinners. Now, they are the only things that I bought home with me from the store. The idea of cooking for myself just seems like a waste of time. That's another thing I don't know when I'll do it again. This whole thing feels weird.

I heated up the dinner with just chicken nuggets, fries, and a brownie it came with. It was hot and messy, but I forced myself to try it and it wasn't too bad.

I've been watching Frasier so much the channel is already showing season four of the show.

I don't want to drink tonight because being sober it actually makes the jokes funnier. I still changed in the other room and I'm in shorts and a long-sleeved T-shirt.

I'm lying on the couch, and honestly couldn't care if the dream comes again tonight. If it does, I'm up for the rest of the night crying and I'm already used to that. If it doesn't, then I actually get sleep. I'm over my own nightmare and invite it to come if it means it will make me stronger. I don't know how that will happen, but I'm taking a page from Tony's book and trying to make something positive.

Speaking of Tony, my phone goes off and it's him.

"Hey, Tony." It's getting late. He's probably just checking in before he goes to bed.

"Hey Melissa. How are you?"

I sigh. "I'm in the same spot as yesterday and watching the same show. So at least I'm not doing worse." That's on the bright side, right?

"Well, that sounds like fun to me. Can I join?"

"You really want to-"I'm cut off by the doorbell ringing and seeing that Tony hung up the phone.

What?

No.

I get up and make my way to the door. There's no way this is happening.

I open the door and Tony is standing in front of me in his pajamas holding a sleeping bag, and suit in his hands.

"Hey. Fancy meeting you here." He walks past me and heads for the living room.

I look the door behind me and chase after him.

I watch him roll the sleeping bag out. "What are you doing?"

"Well, considering you fell asleep when I was holding your arm. We're going to see if you have your nightmare if someone is just in the room."

I sigh. "Tony, you should have let me know you were coming. You would have known that I already invited the nightmare to come if it meant getting it over with."

He kneels up and stares at me. "Well, that's not the way to do it."

"Tony."

"No." He stands up and walks toward me. He looks like he's nervous. I think I even see some sweat on his forehead. "I don't mean any disrespect, but don't tell me to leave. I know you don't want help because you don't want to feel like you'll need it forever. And I'm here to tell you, it's only what you need now."

I don't say anything. I go over to hug him. I can tell he's surprised by the way he's hesitant in hugging me back.

"Thank you." I tell him.

He hugs me tight and kisses me on the head.

"Come on, let's see if you can finally get some rest."

I let him go and start turning off all the lights.

He moves the table over to have his sleeping bag right next to the couch.

I get under the blankets on the couch. "Are you sure?"

"I'm already tucked in on the floor and I'm not moving."

He makes me laugh. "Okay. Goodnight Tony."

"Goodnight Melissa."

I turn the final light off and get comfortable with my pillows. I close my eyes and all I can do smile while I try to fall asleep.

"Hello?"

Oh no. Not again.

"Whisk?"

Please I know this is a dream. Why can't I wake up don't make me see this again.

"Melissa?"

I turn and I try to change the story. I run to him and grab his arm.

"We got to go."

I'm pulling him but he isn't moving.

"Come on!"

That's when I hear the gun shots. I stare at him and see his smile fades once again.

"No."

Instead of falling on the floor, he's falling into my arms.

"No, no, no, no! Tim! Please just get up! Please!"

Seeing his eyes roll back in his head is the last straw. I wake up screaming once again.