Chapter Thirty-Five: Never Anger A Lion

As the siblings sat down to breakfast the next morning, the topic had changed to their new electives for next year. There were five electives to choose from and they could choose up to three of them. No student could choose more than that because some of the classes took place at the same time and there was no way to take them all. 

The students could choose from Arithmancy, Ancient Runes, Care Of Magical Creatures, Muggle Studies, and Divination. Arithmancy was a class where you learn the layout of creating new spells. Ancient Runes was the class to study the branch of magic that was controlled through carved or drawn symbols instead of words or wands. Care Of Magical Creatures was just as the class's name suggested, it was about learning how to care for and about magical creatures. Muggle Studies was also very self-explanatory, a class to teach about the mundane world. And Divination is the class that teaches how to see into the future using tea leaves, crystal balls, and other methods.

"Care Of Magical Creatures sounds interesting," Melody says as the three at breakfast at Hufflepuff that morning.

"That class is so up my alley," Harry smiled as he ate his pancakes. "It goes without saying that animals, magical or not, are what I love most."

"Granger would definitely be driven crazy in that class," Krinos laughed. "You could put an actual dragon in front of her and she would still lecture about how 'magical creatures do not exist.' She needs a magical reality check."

"Never have I agreed with a single statement more than that," Harry said.

"I'm questioning why they even offer Divination," Melody says.

Harry had already asked some of his fellow Gryffindors were going to sign up for. Neville had been sent letters from all the witches and wizards in his family, all giving him different advice on what to choose. Confused and worried, he sat reading the subject lists with his tongue poking out, asking people whether they thought Arithmancy sounded more difficult than the study of Ancient Runes. Dean Thomas, who had grown up with Muggles, ended up closing his eyes and jabbing his wand at the list, then picking the subjects it landed on. Hermione took nobody's advice but signed up for everything. The trio thought that she was currently lacking in common sense.

"Hey, Percy," Harry asked. "You got any advice for us?"

Percy was eager to share his experience.

"Depends where you want to go, Harry," he said. "It's never too early to think about the future, so I recommend Divination. People say Muggle Studies is a soft option, but I personally think wizards should have a thorough understanding of the non-magical community, particularly if they're thinking of working in close contact with them. Look at my father. He has to deal with Muggle business all the time. My brother Charlie was always more of an outdoor type, so he went for Care of Magical Creatures. Play to your strengths, Harry."

"Care of Magical Creatures it is, then," Krinos chuckled.

"Just might want to keep Selene hidden," Fred says.

"Or the professor might want to present her to the class," George said.

"Why is Divination even offered," Melody asked.

"What do you mean, Melody," Cedric asked. "Divination has always been taught at Hogwarts. Same as the other electives and subjects."

"But it isn't something that can be taught," Melody argued. "You either have the ability to see the future or you don't, plain and simple. We know a couple of people with the sight back home."

"Really," Neville gasped, his eyes wide.

"While not full seers, they can accurately predict events using crystal balls, tarot cards, or enchanted pools of water," Krinos says. "Gypsies are really the only ones that can make real predictions with tea leaves."