Bombay Mixx - Chapter One - Part Twenty Two

Chapter One – New Pastures?

(Part Twenty Two)

The rest of the week comprised the following:

1) Making sure I kept busy which meant always telling Ann when I finished the work she had set so she could give me some more. She seemed surprised but secretly delighted as I think she thought of herself as a teacher and I was her top pupil who was now getting, ‘A’ grades.

2) Avoiding Angus and Sarah, which meant when I knew he was in the office I was busy in another department and ignore Sarah’s email and telephone calls asking if we could, ‘talk’.

3) Meeting up with Renesh for lunch on Thursday as he left a voicemail explaining that he really needed to talk to me. He never phones me unless it’s something serious or he is trying to get a night out planned so he can flirt with Anya some more.

Thursday came surprisingly quick and after all the work I had been doing, I felt slightly more confident in asking Ann if I could have an extended lunch. ‘I would obviously make it up tomorrow by taking the time out of my lunch as I know Fridays are one of our busy days,’ I begged.

As Ann pondered all the work she was going to be able to give me tomorrow at lunchtime, she granted my request and I went to lock my computer and gather my belongings.

Renesh was running late so I ordered a mineral water. Having a glass of wine was not an option for me as a flashback of the horrendous hangover I came into work with on Wednesday slapped my memory. Ann was not amused at my state on Wednesday and to help me ‘learn’ how to prioritise my private and professional life she expected the tasks to be done in half the time.

I couldn’t argue.

Renesh was wearing a crisp grey suit and looked very professional. ‘Hey sis. How’s work going?’ he asked as he ordered a glass of wine.

The chit chat began and we made our orders. After a while I began to sense an awkward feeling. ‘So, I’m sure you didn’t invite me to lunch to hear about my tedious accounts job, what’s up?’ I enquired.

Renesh shifted around in his seat and avoided my gaze before he began, ‘please don’t tell anyone especially mum and dad.’ I sat straight up in my seat and started to worry. 

Renesh was the golden boy at home. He told mum and dad everything as he could do no wrong, so what’s going on here? I started to get concerned. ‘Me and Shilpa have been having a few problems recently and I’m not sure where to go next with us,’ he continued. ‘What kind of problems? And what do you mean you don’t know where to go next with it? I hope you’re not talking about divorce, Renesh! You can’t just give up like that,’ I demanded.

The conversation was put on hold for a minute whilst the waiter delivered our main courses; we stayed in silence until he left, ‘Neets, it’s been very difficult! She’s always at the hospital, her shifts are crazy hours and I’m left at home twiddling my thumbs! I’ve been so bored I practically live at the gym and you know I’m usually allergic to exercise until I see a slight bulge. It’s not going to change either because as she goes up the ladder there she’s gonna be working more hours so I’ll see her even less’ he sadly expressed.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

Apart my mum and dad, we all admired Renesh and Shilpa’s marriage.

Their marriage was one we all wanted and Renesh knew how hard it would be to end.

I continued to listen to his concerns but felt there was something missing from this story so I continued to investigate. ‘So haven’t you spoken to her about how you feel and what has she said?’ He finished chewing a piece of his braised lamb leg and continued, ‘we have spoken about it. That’s all we do is talk! You know we haven’t had sex for a month because she’s always too tired when she gets home but yet she wants a baby! I don’t know how she expects that to happen? Maybe she’ll hijack my sperm at night and ask one of her doctor friends to inseminate her with it at work on one of her lunch breaks.’