Bombay Mixx - Chapter Six - Part Two

As I came round, I heard the rustling of paper (which I realised later was Amelia hiding the evidence as she opened the door to get help) and the screams of Gabrielle and Anya telling her to shut up and to go get water. ‘Guys, I’m ok. I just haven’t eaten,’ I managed to reassure them as I found the energy to sit up and gratefully accept the water from a shaking Gabrielle.

After avoiding the many questions the girls had, Amelia reminded everyone of the time and the drama was forgotten for the moment.

Everyone made such an effort with their appearance; I was scared to think how much of my child’s university money I would need to spend on my wedding outfit to keep up with everyone. ‘Can you do my clip please?’ Gabrielle asked kindly.

Dressed in a long, gold, silk boobtube gown, which accentuated her petite curves, with gold coloured crystals highlighting the breast region; Gabrielle looked like a Greek Goddess with her hair spilling loose curls down her back. 

We were given strict instructions on what we were to wear, so we didn’t upstage her; I was very shocked that Anya obliged.

Anya looked demur and beautiful, which wasn’t always easy for her as she loved to show her ‘money makers’ in case there were potential clients in a 5 mile radius.

Wearing a fitted, silvery blue, mini dress with batwing sleeves and thick, jewel encrusted belt, she topped off the shimmering splendour with luxurious silver, strappy high heels with an equally elegant clutch bag.

Dealing with the endless shopping trips and failed diets, I ended up deciding that every dress made me feel like a frumpy bloated ball, that wouldn’t look out of place at a volley ball competition. So, after many tantrums and tests of both Anya’s and Amelia’s muscle power, when I constantly asked them to help me pull up the defiant zips on all the dresses I tried on, Amelia said, ‘This one looks beautiful Neets’ as I glanced in the mirror and saw the frilly horror she tried to convince me to wear as her patience had run out.

Now, although Amelia is wonderful in a crisis and thinks on her feet, she does lack patience when shopping with me. Anya regarded the frilly mess as she tried not to laugh, when she saw the disgust on my face.

‘Errrm, maybe this von vould be better,’ she giggled as she handed me a long, jade green, halter neck dress with crystal embroidery around the neckline.

There was a silent pause as I took a deep breath and went to try it on.

I could hear them whispering and Anya laughing at Amelia’s attempt to dress me up as her Grandma’s toilet roll holder.

‘Come on Neets. I need a drink after all this stress,’ Amelia demanded as I slowly emerged through the white curtain.

The shopping assistant walked into the changing room as I twirled around on demand from the judging panel of two.

Sucking in my waist, making my shoulders appear smaller and giving me a cleavage that could rival a ‘Page 3 Model’ I was very impressed and vowed to spend my last pennies on getting Anya and Amelia the biggest bottle of Cava my purse could afford.

‘You look beautiful. Like an emerald swan,’ the shop assistant swooned as I posed for my audience with pride and sophistication.

They all agreed I should buy it and when I questioned the price, I was quickly reminded it was an investment, not to just be worn once. Before I could respond my credit card was quickly swiped from my hand and we were out the door.

Putting it on a second time made me feel just as sexy and elegant but with my new secret I was finding it hard to enjoy the moment, and finally the questions to my new bloated exterior were answered.

With one glass of champagne, we toasted to Gabrielle’s new life-to-be and celebrated her fond memories, we all shared of her in the flat.

The champagne toast was not enough for Anya, so when she produced a round of Vodka shots to allow Gabrielle to bid farewell to her single life properly, I slyly gave mine to Amelia and we went through the door for the last time as four single ladies.