Bombay Mixx - Chapter Two - Part One

Chapter Two – Nothing is what it seems!

(Part One)

‘Honey, could you pass the rice,’ my mother asks as we sat down for Sunday dinner.

All weekend all I could think about was the train wreck of Friday night with Angus.

Neither one of us tried to contact each other and all I could do was try to forget about it by indulging in some retail therapy on Saturday and now try to enjoy the lovely and much needed home cooked dinner my father prepared today.

However, there was a slight atmosphere between my parents and the obvious awkward ambience between Renesh and his wife, so I got a bottle of white out quickly.

With the usual small talk around the table, we proceeded to stuff ourselves to maximum capacity and head to the living room for dessert and drinks.

As my mother questioned an embarrassed Renesh about when she should expect her first grandchild, my father made a sudden exit to talk on his phone.

My father was not used to his mobile phone and often called it, ‘an addiction worst than drugs,’ but I think it was because he didn’t know how to use it, and often didn’t, so I was surprised that it was attached to his ear this Sunday afternoon.

The caller was very persistent and seemed to agitate him with each call but I think it might have been one of his competitors as a few new taxi firms had opened in the area and wanted my father’s prime location but he refused to sell.

‘Parwez, can you spare your family some time and get off that phone,’ my mother shouts but my father just waves his hand and shuts the door. ‘I swear if I didn’t know how loud your father snores I’d swear he has got a younger toy,’ my mother announces.

We all looked at each other in shock then Renesh starts to laugh, ‘don’t be silly mum. Dad would never do that. You know you’re his Irish Goddess,’ he says whilst giving her a hug.

After Gabrielle rescues the tension with one of her footballer stories, my father renters the room and we continue to talk about the potential grandchildren my parents should expect from Renesh and Shilpa.

*********************************************************************

Sunday dinner was just what I needed as I knew the week ahead would not be so light hearted or fun.

Why has he not called me?’ I questioned myself as I snuggled into bed with my huge mug of hot chocolate and the latest celebrity magazine. The only break in my Angus train of thought came when I saw a very famous actress on the beach and the photographer’s zoom was not kind to her cellulite.

*********************************************************************

The alarm rang and I felt like I had only just closed my eyes.

My heavy heart allowed me to enter a luke-warm shower and eat my uninspired cereal whilst trying not to think about seeing Angus in the next two hours.

I realised that even though he had been a complete and utter sod by not phoning me and clearly blaming me for his misfortune on Friday night, I would swallow the tears back, act unfazed by his childish behaviour and look stunning.

So, out came the hair straighteners, hair serum, and expensive facial cream, the perfume you reserve for high-priced evenings, (when you know that you’ll be getting your money’s worth from the date) and the sexy but professional black, skirt suit.

‘Ooooh sexy lady,’ Amelia joked as I was about to exit the bomb site (sorry the flat!).

I stopped at the door and turned to have a little joke before I set off for the emotional torment but although the humour was in the voice, it was not registering with her face.