Bombay Mixx - Chapter Six - Part One

Chapter Six – The Best Gift to bring to the Engagement Party?

The following weeks consisted of trying to be a counsellor to Renesh and making sure my mother didn’t end up in prison for ‘murdering’ him. And trying not to end up in the cell next to her myself for killing Gabrielle for her endless demands, and screams, when she came to the conclusion that she could not delegate any tasks to her bridesmaids as they were all ‘dimwits’. Needless to say there were many occasions I had to escort Anya out of the room before she had Gabrielle’s blood on her new Louis V’s!

‘Neets, I need your help,’ Gabrielle screamed from her bedroom as we all started to get ready for the engagement party.

The sun was blazing and there was a nice breeze in the air. With clear, blue sky, all bridesmaid’s were still sober (surprisingly, especially with the stress of the bride-to-be becoming increasingly unbearable) and mum and dad were working through their issues successfully, it was like icing on the cake when Shilpa rang.

‘Hey Neets, it’s Shilpa. Just checking to make sure it’s still ok for me to come today?’ she asked with pain in her voice. I wanted to put my hands down the phone and give her a big hug as over the past few weeks, after seeing my brother’s deteriorating mood, I have been calling her non-stop begging her to come to the party. ‘Of course it is hun. You know you are still part of this family and we all want you there. Call me when you set off and I will come outside to meet you,’ and with that the nerves and anticipation began.

Maybe it was all the stress of trying to be a mediator, counsellor or maybe it was the increasing workload but I had been feeling horrid, so when Gabrielle screamed at me to hurry up through the bathroom door, I couldn’t be calm anymore. ‘Fuck off, I’m being sick, so I’m sorry I can’t rush,’ obviously Gabrielle wasn’t the only one behind the door. ‘Babe, I need to speak to you. Can I come in?’ Amelia said softly, to which I obliged.

I loved Amelia so much, as no matter what she had going on in her own life she was always thinking of others and never had a bad word to say (unless you angered her) or selfish bone in her body, so when she wanted to talk to me, or offered her opinion, I always welcomed her with open arms.

‘What’s up chick?’ I asked slowly getting up from the toilet and examining my green complexion in the mirror.

She was wearing a beautiful deep red Oriental inspired mini dress, with her hair perfectly styled with two chop sticks with elegant gold and red tassels hanging down…trust Amelia to bring the real style to the party!

From her equally chic gold clutch bag, she pulled out a white paper bag. ‘Babe, there’s no time to have a quick snort,’ I chuckled as she raised an eyebrow at my terrible humour. She pulled the bag back, which revealed a box.

‘Hun, I have been hearing you talk about how sick you’ve been feeling for the past few mornings now and unless you have been going to the worst take away, which needs to be shut down ASAP, you do not have food poisoning, nor do you have the flu,’ to which she put the box under my nose to reveal her true thoughts.

I examined the pregnancy kit as though it was alien to me.

I couldn’t be pregnant, could I?

Ok, so my clothes have been feeling a bit tight recently but I haven’t been saying no to the odd late night burger or doughnut. My periods are not regular, so it’s not a big deal that I haven’t had one for a while but I have only been with Yatin for just over 3 months, what is he going to think? He’s going to run for the hills when he hears this!

That last thought had me losing breath and I began to gasp. ‘Babe, it might not be this but it’s just to rule it out and I’ll always be here for you, so don’t worry so much. You don’t have to do it now,’ Amelia stuttered as the concern and worry at my cracking appearance began to frighten her.

After a long hug and words of encouragement, I decided to quickly do it.

Three minutes feels like a life time, when in one spilt moment the result could change your life forever (also Anya and Gabrielle banging on the door every second to see what was going on was piling on the pressure).

‘She is just overwhelmed about the wedding so just give us a few minutes,’ Amelia shouted, which bought us a bit more time.

The time had come and the results were as clear as the sky…POSITIVE!

Unfortunately, my vision had become less clear as I showed an opened mouth Amelia the evidence and felt my knees buckle beneath me.

I passed out!