Bombay Mixx - Chapter One - Part Nineteen

Chapter One – New Pastures?

(Part Nineteen)

It gets very warm in the office so I thought a white shirt and black skirt outfit would be okay for today…however, I didn’t take into consideration air conditioning (which is very close to my desk) and sexy Irish bosses trying to seduce me in the kitchen.

I was glad that I wore a flesh coloured bra, however, it was thin and my shirt was even thinner and it wasn’t due to the temperature in the kitchen (although it was heating up by the second). ‘Was I really turned on by this egotistical speech?’ I thought to myself as the pointer sisters decided to make an appearance.

I flushed post box red and crossed my arms to try to hide the evidence rushing out the kitchen before I did something else to show him that he could actually be right about the situation.

Ann continued the day by making sure all her troopers were in position and carrying out their tasks.

As I filed, phoned different departments to check for missing receipts, shares certificates and more mundane jobs that I wouldn’t want to bore you with, I came across a nice voice on the last call I made.

‘Hello, this is Nita from Accounting. Can I speak to Ms Hutchinson please?’ I asked in my most posh telephone voice. There was a pause and then she put me through, ‘Hello Sarah Hutchinson, speaking.’ ‘Hello, this is Nita from Accounting. I am calling on behalf of Mr. Angus Maguire who would like to request a meeting with you on Monday 14th December 2009?’ I heard a chuckle. ‘Was she laughing at my telephone voice? Stuck up cow! I’m not from Cambridge but I thought my new telephone voice was very convincing,’ I thought angrily to myself as I waited for her response.

‘Yes, Monday the 14th is good for me, shall we say at 2pm?’ she asked as she composed herself. ‘Yes, that is fine. I will send you an email to confirm,’ I replied dryly and then went to end the call. ‘Are you Angus’s new assistant then?’ she enquired this time with no laughter.

‘Yes I am,’ I responded a little confused as to why she wouldn’t already know this?

‘Well it’s very nice to meet you. How are you finding accounting? Has Angus and Ann helped you settle in?’ ‘Ok maybe she isn’t a posh cow. She’s actually sounding a lot nicer now. Like she actually cares! But everyone here seems to be a little odd when you get a bit closer. Ann is a Sergeant Major in her spare time and well we all know about Angus! So let’s just test the water with this one but it doesn’t hurt to get friendly with the bosses in other departments, does it? I mean who knows she might have a better job for me up there, she’ll give me a fantastic promotion and I’ll be able to buy all the fancy bath products, like Anya, from Harrods and I’ll be able to walk into work with one of them high powered, really expensive suits, like the managers in Advertising and the dumb and dumber twins on reception will just look on in utter shock.

Ok enough daydreaming I thought as I realised I hadn’t actually answered her question. ‘Everyone has been really nice and I’m just trying to find my feet but it shouldn’t take me long,’ I cheerily replied.

There was another pause as I heard someone come into her room for her signature and then she came back to me and chuckled, ‘well, if you want I could give you the low down on the whole company and give you some advice on how to succeed in the rat race they call AG Cathal.’ ‘Sounds great,’ I eagerly replied as visions of speedy promotions and shopping sprees sprang to mind. ‘How about tonight after work? There’s a little bar down the road which does amazing cocktails and between 5-8pm its buy 1 get 1 free,’ she asked temptingly. ‘Oh no! More alcohol on a work night? Ok I’ll just slowly drink 2 and then be home for 10pm, right? Yep that’s what I’ll do!’ I thought as I agreed and ended the call.

The day seemed to go a lot quicker and as Angus went to various meetings, I was able to focus on completing all the work set, with Ann giving me glances every 10 minutes to make sure I was concentrating and not making endless personal calls and emails like the previous assistant had done.