Bombay Mixx - Chapter One - Part Fifteen

Chapter One – New Pastures?

(Part Fifteen)

I continued to inspect my huge sacks under my eyes, but I didn’t realise someone else came into the kitchen. ‘You shouldn’t bend over like that here. You could give the men heart attacks, then what would I do?’ That Irish accent could have melted my mascara off. ‘Oh god! You’re doing this on purpose aren’t you?’ I thought as I turned to see Angus stood there, leaning on the work top counter, looking like he could have been on the cover of Vogue!

‘I didn’t realise there was anyone else here. Sorry.’ I managed to utter as I restructured myself. There was this intense glare between us (more a nervous stare on my part) and just as I thought he could see that my crimson face was a signal that I was very embarrassed by this situation, he continued to tease, ‘I’m sorry I interrupted you then. I would have liked to have seen further without you knowing anyone else was here.’

‘Oh my gosh! Was this married man flirting with me? It sounded like he was! Ok Nita, catch your breath, try to regain some kind of stable skin colour and press him now.’

The kettle clicked off which allowed a moment of distraction then I got a shot of bravery…I was going for it! With a deep breath, I confidently said, ‘what would a married man, like you, want to have seen more of then?’ I couldn’t believe I said that! I’m never that forward but before I could even let another thought enter my head; I could see the mood had changed. ‘Oh great! Back to the job listings for me tonight then!’ I thought as I refused to continue with the other questions I was thinking about asking with my new found self-assurance.

The silence felt like forever but after a few minutes, he closed the door and came a little closer. I realised I had sweaty palms and prayed he didn’t want to shake my hand anytime soon. His face was very solemn and I wondered if I had really hurt him. ‘Just because people are married it doesn’t mean they are happy,’ he sadly expressed. 

I was so surprised. Was this a confession?

He started to move closer, I started to get more anxious. ‘Oh! Are you not happy in your marriage then?’ I stuttered as I edged back slowly. He paused as though he could feel I was getting uncomfortable with his closeness. He looked at the floor and continued, ‘I love my wife but I’m not in love with her. We would have divorced last year if it wasn’t for the children. She said if I leave her then she will take the kids and I’ll never see them again. I can’t let her take my children so I have to stay there for them.’ ‘Wow! In a marriage he doesn’t want to be in but just staying for the children. I would have his children now!’ I contemplated as I stopped moving back.

There was a brief moment where I thought he was going to move in for a kiss (and believe me I would have obliged!) but Ann interrupted us, ‘the refreshments are ready for the meeting Mr. Maguire and Nita you need to read through the agenda of the meeting before you go in.’ I felt as though she was subtly telling me off, ‘but she couldn’t have known what we were talking about as we were talking quietly’ I wondered as I left the kitchen still with unanswered questions and a sense of unknowing about the new state of affairs that had occurred between us but I tried to remain professional and continued with the working day ahead.