Bombay Mixx - Chapter Four - Part Two

I met his stare with surprise and only broke away to look at his hand, on his now apparent, wife’s waist. ‘Honey, you remember Nita from the office, don’t you?’ he managed to stammer as his wife broke away from her hilarious conversation with another woman and regarded me with confusion. ‘Oh yes. Are you ok? You took quite a tumble there,’ she replied condescendingly as she started stroking Angus’s arm, making him feel more uncomfortable.

Feeling the anger building inside me, I hissed, ‘I’m fine thank you’. His wife, not seeing my fury, continued. ‘Are you having a good time Nita? If I wasn’t married, I’d feel like a child in a sweet shop with all these beautiful men around? Anyone caught your eye yet?’ As she asked the last question, Angus’s glare became more intense. ‘Yes I have met one or two but you know us single girls like to test drive the cars before making the final purchase,’ I batted back as I no longer cared about Angus’s increasingly visible uncomfortable attitude.

‘I don’t blame you Nita. Well have a fun night and be careful, you don’t want to ruin that beautiful dress,’ she added as she guided a jaded Angus away.

Surprisingly, her last remark did not sound bitchy or condescending and I actually only had one unexpected emotion…guilt!

This woman was beautiful, intelligent and was clearly nice and friendly and I had been sleeping with her husband and making the affair acceptable by believing all of Angus’s lies about his marriage being dead and that she was the dragon who would take his children away if he divorced her immediately.

How stupid could I have been? This woman was nothing more than a woman in love with a dirty dog, who would obviously never change.

With that last thought I rushed into the toilet as the tears began to tumble like a rain.

Luckily, I was able to compose myself after a few minutes in the toilet cubicle and emerged to a stony faced looking Anya.

‘I saw Angus. Are you ready to go?’ she asked as she observed my red eyes. I couldn’t speak without bursting into tears again so I just nodded and we exited the bathroom and made our way to the exit.

Gabrielle’s curiosity obviously got the better of her as we left her to join Tiziana entertaining their enthusiastic audience and Amelia dancing with a tall, model looking man who seemed to be enjoying her company as they were hugging whilst pretending to dance. ‘I guess no more Geron,’ Anya supposed as we both looked at the dirty dancing they were now doing in the middle of the dance floor.

‘I guess not,’ I managed before we left.

*********************************************************************

‘So, where did you get to last night, then?’ I questioned Gabrielle as we waited for Renesh and Shilpa to come for Sunday dinner. Before she could answer, mum decided to show us the new salsa moves she had learnt from her two lessons at the community centre.

 ‘Really good mum. You’re a natural,’ I commented before she twirled back into the kitchen, nearly knocking herself out on the door as she realised she’d need a few more lessons to learn how to avoid the dizziness.

‘We just went onto one of the guy’s apartments’ Gabrielle replied secretively.

It was not like my sister to be so coy.