Bombay Mixx - Chapter Five - Part One

Chapter Five – The Past coming to haunt the present…will it affect the future?

The previous month was one of highs and lows!

All of us (minus Gabrielle) had major men troubles, which determined our paths for the following weeks. My mother and father were still separated, giving us no hope that this problem would be resolved any time soon, Renesh was still trying to fix his marriage whilst dealing with the guilt of his affair and I was successful in the interview for the position in Research and was blowing everyone away with my professionalism.

‘Babe, this is the beginning of your new “life” so welcome to Research and it’s just onwards and upwards from now,’ Sarah announced in her speech as we clinked glasses and celebrated my achievement at the bar near work.

I occasionally saw Angus in the corridors or meetings, however, our situation was laid to rest and I had no feelings towards him until I saw him flirting with the new secretaries or administrators, which made me feel sorry for them instead of being angry.

I had lost a few pounds in weight, changed my wardrobe and started feeling more optimistic about my future, so when dad offered to buy me dinner at my favourite restaurant after work, I jumped at the invite.

The restaurant was quiet, rustic and relaxing.

Candles in old wine bottles, Italian opera singers belting out dramatic pieces of work with an outstanding orchestra enhancing the words on a low setting in the background; smells of fresh herbs, succulent homemade sauces and spicy meats floating from the kitchen, bringing in curious revellers from the street. Dad sat alone in the corner with a glass of deep red wine, looking lonely and disheartened. ‘Hey dad, how’s it going?’ I asked with a big hug and a nod to the waiter as he came across with the speed of Bolt to show me the wine list.

I took off my coat to hang it on the back of the chair and picked up the menu like an eager child ready for my treat.

‘Not good Neets, I miss your mum and need her back,’ he replied as he choked back the tears to give the waiter our orders.

We awkwardly waited for him to leave before we continued, ‘I know she thinks I’ve cheated on her but I haven’t,’ he stated as we indulged in the garlic bread that the waiter sneaked onto the table. ‘Well, why didn’t you tell her dad?’ I asked.

He took a pause and protested, ‘she didn’t allow me the chance to explain and I was a bit angry that after all these years, she could think I would ever do that to her.’

Thoughts of my own experiences with infidelities came to mind. I wondered for a second why my mother didn’t believe my dad immediately but they were my parents and I believed my dad when he said he didn’t cheat, so I vowed to help him get mum back but first I needed to know what I was working with.

‘Dad, you know I will help you get back with mum but first of all I need you to stop being so secretive about your past and tell me about this woman on the phone, you know your first wife? What’s her problem?’ I inquired, whilst trying not to put too much pressure on him.

He took a deep breath, looked around and started. ‘I would never keep anything from you Nita. You are my beautiful daughter, who I adore and I always try to be open and honest with all my children so here it goes…you know I was married to a woman before your mother?’ he asked as I just nodded with a mouthful of warm bread.