Bombay Mixx - Chapter Seven - Part One

Chapter Seven – A Beautiful Sunset?

Four months had gone by and Gabrielle’s wedding arrived, which documented a mixture of emotions.

No longer the happy lavish event she had wanted her whole life but one of John’s family begging him not to get involved in the car crash lifestyle of the Patel family, my mother and father trying to put on a united front and trying to avoid all the questions from the rest of the family and my stomach expanding in mass, and movement by the week. 

The only positive aspects to come from the engagement party were that after weeks of talking through all their problems, Amelia agreed to give Geron another chance. The engagement ring is still safely in the box, however, Geron has not given up hope, but, as Amelia has stressed many times, she cannot marry him without him gaining her trust back which he understands. Elisa gave birth to a baby girl in Paris and named her Amelia, which was a shock but allowed Amelia to be involved in their new life.

Although Amelia and Geron put their engagement on hold, that didn’t stop Anya, who accepted Dolph’s proposal a month after Gabrielle’s engagement party and has now moved into his Central London Penthouse.

With her interior designers hanging on her every word and her wedding planner excited at the lack of a budget for her unique wedding, Anya was living the high life and we were helping her enjoy her new lease of life by constantly proffering our ideas as her bridesmaids and potential apartment crashers. ‘When are you gonna find out the sex of the baby?’ Amelia asked as she scanned the baby clothing shop I managed to drag her to on our lunch break.

‘I want it to be a surprise,’ I coolly responded even though I was tearing my hair out as I wanted to know the gender of the baby just like everyone else, but I agreed with Yatin not to find out until it was born.

I was going to miss my lunch dates with the girls but maternity leave was looming and after three weeks of praying for it not to come, indeed it was here. ‘I can’t believe your going. Can’t wait to see what the baby looks like,’ Sarah said as she hugged me and didn’t want to let go.

With an assortment of coloured balloons, a big silver sign wishing me well and some cheap fizzy wine and the biggest cake I’d ever seen, I was so happy that I had so many people who had finally got over my presentation saga and wanted me to come back.

As I mingled and opened my presents, I felt a hand on my shoulder and the smell of aftershave which bought back memories which I would rather forget.

Stood there in a dark grey suit, with a crisp white shirt, dark grey tie and black shoes, he smiled and guided me to my empty office.

A shiny small box emerged from behind him. ‘I heard you were having a little party and I didn’t want to come without a gift for my favourite secretary,’ he purred as he handed me the box.

As much as I wanted to throw it in the bin, I was curious, so I slowly opened it to find a solid silver rattle.

‘Thank you. You shouldn’t have,’ I replied without emotion.

After a few moments of awkward silence, he indulged in chit chat before he asked, ‘so how many months are you?

This was the question I hoped he would never ask.

‘Seven months and counting,’ I said breezily as walked towards the door to avoid his gaze.

I heard him shifting from one foot to another. ‘Wait!’ he shouted and I knew that was it.

 ‘Could this be my child?’ he asked worriedly.

I prayed for a smart response, something to throw him off. I even considered lying but there were so many lies I had to deal with in the past few months, I was exhausted from it all.

‘I honestly don’t know, but even if it is, I will not tell you as I don’t want you in our lives. Make it easy on yourself and leave us alone,’ I determined before I walked out the door and left him in a daze of astonishment.