Bombay Mixx - Chapter Six - Part Three

Decorated in a Middle Eastern theme with beautiful deep blues, reds, orange and gold fabrics draped from the ceiling and big bronze Moroccan lamp shades hanging down gave the hall the cosy and exotic feel Gabrielle wanted.

Lowered gold coffee tables and soft, chic bean bag chairs circled the sides of the room, leaving just enough space for the dance floor and a corner for the one man bar.

With low lighting and loud music, it took me a while to get through the crowd to find dad holding mum’s hand, whilst Renesh was on the other side of them being comforted by a large rum and coke.

‘Is she here yet?’ Renesh asked eagerly as I greeted them. With compliments oozing from mum and dad, I shook my head as I gave him a hug and promised I’d tell him as soon as I saw her.

Feeling a kiss on my neck, I prayed Yatin wouldn’t put his hands anywhere near my stomach as I swung round and greeted him with a nervous kiss. ‘I’ve missed my baby,’ he cooed as the sweat began to make an appearance on my brow. ‘I missed you too hun but I’ve just got to nip outside for a minute,’ I gasped as I pretended my phone was ringing and ran out.

Taking deep gulps of air and trying to steady myself on the wall, I didn’t realise Shilpa walking towards me.

Visibly upset and shaken, she put on a brave smile and gave me a hug. ‘I’m so glad you decided to come. It wouldn’t have been the same without you,’ I said as we made small talk to avoid the situation and trying to bide more time before we had to go into the questioning crowds.

The number in the hall had increased since being outside and it was becoming increasingly difficult to get through the enthusiastic guests.

Gabrielle and John had it easy, as they put thrones on the stage, so they could look down on the crowd, much like the King and Queen of the ball.

‘Neets, come over,’ Gabrielle waved as she beckoned me to her hierarchical chair. ‘Do you think it was a good idea to invite Shilpa?’ she questioned as she pointed over to the stressed and awkward looking pair.

As I examined the car-crash couple, I came to the conclusion that they were not fighting or arguing so it was a start. ‘I will keep an eye on them so don’t worry yourself and enjoy the night,’ I comforted Gabrielle as I went away to get her a drink to calm her nerves.

Getting through the crowds, I managed to avoid Yatin and bump straight into my Grandmother.

‘Hi Gran,’ I said nervously as she regarded me coldly.

To break the tension, I gave her a hug and began small talk, which was cut abruptly. She looked around, as though not wanting anyone to hear or looking for Grandad, she whispered, ‘I’m fine sweetheart but I’ll be even better by the end of this evening.’

I tried to ask her to elaborate as it sounded quite sinister, but she refused and walked away when she saw my mother approaching.

‘What did that witch say?’ my mum asked giving her daggers, as she gave them back whilst walking away with a smug grin on her face.

‘Nothing mum. Just ignore her. Don’t let it ruin the evening. Anyway how’s things with dad?’ I asked feebly as I tried to distract her attention.

The last thing Gabrielle needed was a WWF fight between our mum and Grandma!

John’s family were already slightly overwhelmed by the elaborate décor and Gabrielle’s constantly increasing demands on how much money should be spent on the wedding.

‘It’s a one time event and am I not worth it?’ she pressured John into answering as she bombarded him with more changing plans for the wedding, the weekend before the actual event.

With waiters trying to get through the crowds with tiny spicy canapés and equally stressed waitresses coming around to silently fill the empty classes, everyone was having a good time and even Renesh managed to smile as his begging seemed to be working on Shilpa.

‘How’s my emerald princess?’ my dad asked as he gave me the biggest hug.

‘I’m great dad. How’s it going with mum?’ I replied nervously.

He was beaming from ear to ear and I knew I didn’t have to worry about them anymore. ‘We’re getting there, hun and if it wasn’t for my jewel, it wouldn’t have happened, so here, let’s celebrate,’ he announced as he grabbed two glasses of champagne, from the silent waitress’s tray, and clinked the glasses.

I could never lie to my dad and he knew it.

I paused and looked down at the glass. ‘What’s wrong, Princess?’ dad asked looking increasingly worried.

The tears couldn’t be held back anymore and as soon as one escaped, they all flowed down my face.

What could I say to him? I knew he’d be happy but as we were driving to the venue, I remembered a horrible thought, I had only been in a relationship with Yatin for 3 months, however, I had only stopped sleeping with Angus a few weeks before.

What if it wasn’t Yatin’s?

The final thought made me hysterical and through embarrassment or concern my dad escorted me outside and I told him the ‘happy’ news.

Avoiding telling him my thoughts on who the father may be, he was overjoyed and vowed to help me 100%. I made him promise not to tell anyone until after the engagement and gave the excuse that I didn’t want to ruin the party and he agreed.

With more hugs and help to make me look more like Audrey Hepburn and less like Marilyn Manson, we went back into the party as a car pulled up as I didn’t want anymore family members thinking I had gone insane!

‘Where have you been?’ Yatin asked examining my face for clues. ‘We just had a father and daughter moment,’ my dad interrupted and with that he whisked me onto the dance floor with my dad dragging my mum to join us.

The dancing was hilarious and unique…to say the least!

As the alcohol flowed, there was a variety of ‘Grandad dancing’ from John’s family before getting pulled into the middle of the dance floor from some of the more fiery older auntie’s from my dad’s side and some Irish gigs from my mother’s cousins.

There was laughter, there were a few happy tears and there was anger.

This anger came in the form of Geron gate crashing the party with Charlize and a very pregnant, Elisa.