Bombay Mixx - Chapter One - Part Fourteen

Chapter One – New Pastures?

(Part Fourteen)

I had to be at the office earlier this morning so I woke up at 6am and started my routine. ‘Even if my heart was broken, it doesn’t mean I have to look as rough as a pop idol after one too many alcopops,’ I contemplated as I blasted the hair dryer after nearly 15 minutes in a beautiful, hot power-shower.

I proceeded to do my makeup, making sure it didn’t get onto the crisp, smart black skirt suit I had organised two nights before and made sure my hair had enough hair serum in it that you could probably see it sparkling from space!

I tried to avoid smudging my nude lip gloss with my cup of coffee and buttery toast before I set out to face the day ahead.

The walk to the tube station was surprisingly refreshing and left with me with my thoughts on how I was going to tackle the day knowing what I know about Angus.

The streets were quiet because it was so early, and there was a light mist in the air, at first I thought it was serene, then moments from horror movies came into my mind and my pace quickened!

The tube journey was quiet and I was grateful for the one other passenger in my carriage, because as just as we pulled into King Cross station a lady got on asking us if we had seen her husband but she had no wedding ring and smelt of alcohol.

As I pondered on how this lady became this way, we arrived at my station and I skilfully avoided her as she rocked herself back and forth near the doors.

Surprisingly, the receptionists were already at their posts and giving me the death stare as though they were ready for round two as they remembered how they were cheated out of their kill yesterday, but they refrained from making any comments, or talking at all, as they pretended to be busy with some paperwork as I walked into the lift.

My desk looked anorexic compared it to everyone else’s. Photographs of lovers, husbands, children, one or two plants, birthday cards, etc, made my empty bureau look pitiful so I went about making it look more personal but still chic and professional.

A glass pen and pencil holder I stole from Gabrielle’s bedroom, good luck card from mum and dad for inspiration and a coffee cup from Selfridges to show a bit of panache and to show that even though that was the only thing I could afford, I could still shop in Selfridges…I know I’m shallow but I hate it when you walk in the expensive shops and the shop assistances look at you with distaste, as though just your mere existence within their establishment makes it poorer by the second, even though their hourly wage is much less than yours!

‘Good morning Nita. I hope you had a good night’s rest? Today will be very busy. At AG Cathal we believe that in order to learn the processes of the company it is better to let all new starters get underway with their work and tasks immediately,’ Ann was surprisingly cheerful (well for Ann!) as she continued to explain what type of week I could expect.

As she explained the work I would be doing in military order (including estimated times it would take me to do it!), I was able to escape to the departments kitchen to get a much needed coffee. ‘Why did I drink last night? I’m no longer unemployed and have the extra hours in the morning to let morning TV and loads of coffee help me sober up to look through the job sections of the paper…I need to be more responsible now!’ I thought as I viewed my bags in my reflection in the ultra modern silver fridge. I thought concealor was supposed to conceal all the areas that you don’t want daylight to highlight and the general public to be scared of?