Bombay Mixx - Chapter Seven - Part Three

Checking in was the trickiest part, as the nurse didn’t feel I needed to be seen as I was only 6cm dilated.

‘She needs to continue the breathing exercises and a doctor will be with her shortly,’ she demanded as Amelia began to lose patience with her.

Pacing around for 5 minutes, with Gabrielle rubbing my back and Amelia feeding me ice chips, Yatin came racing in with my parents. ‘How are my babies doing?’ he gasped as he tried to regain his breath. Amelia gave him an update on how angry she was at the treatment we were receiving and Gabrielle went outside with Anya to phone their partners.

Pregnant ladies came into the hospital and were wheeled out of the waiting area by the minute and my patience was wearing thin.

‘I need to see someone now,’ I screamed at the nurse, who had just started her shift. She ran away to find a doctor.

Gabrielle and Anya seemed to be gone for a long time, so Amelia was sent to investigate the situation. ‘What are you two doing? We need you in there?’ Amelia commanded as she regarded Gabrielle still on the phone with John and looked over at Anya speaking to a doctor.

‘Who is he?’ Amelia asked Gabrielle as her attention was now diverted.

Gabrielle promised she would keep John updated and hung up.

‘One of her old client’s I think,’ she said coolly as they approached the flirting pair.

Neither looked fazed as the two girls joined them.

‘This is Martin. We are old friends,’ Anya purred with her hand on his arm.

They all knew what that meant but wondered why Anya was wasting time flirting when her friend was about to give life. The question was answered as though she was reading there minds.

‘Martin is going to deliver Neets baby now. He’s the only man I would trust to do it,’ she purred as she escorted him inside.

Dr. Bremmer worked in the hospital, in the private practice section, so not only was I seen by a private doctor but Anya managed to arrange that I had my own suite at the other side of the building.

‘You’re velcome daaarling,’ she smiled as I was wheeled away into the room, leaving the other nurses green with envy.

I would love to say that childbirth was a dream and it was all harps and happiness but it was far from it.

Along with the pain and a long labour, every thought came back to hoping that the baby was Yatin’s.

The screams came and went, energy was depleting and silence filled the room as the doctor whispered, ‘we need to take her to theatre’ to Yatin as he tried to reassure me everything was fine, it was just a precaution, but the tears in his eyes didn’t lie.

I wasted all the months praying that Angus wasn’t the father of my precious baby when I should have been praying that my baby was just happy and healthy.

It was all based on the next few hours which felt like seconds, as I came round from the anaesthetic to see Yatin holding this small bundle of joy.