Bombay Mixx - Chapter Three - Part Seven

Amelia was less impressed but was able to maintain a smile, although I could see her immediate reservation about Tiziana. ‘So what do you do for a living?’ Amelia investigated as she got bored with the small talk.

Tiziana’s smile seemed to faulter slightly as she replied, ‘I’m a PA, darling’. Amelia gave me a curious stare as I knew what would be coming next. ‘Are you a PA to the Queen? It’s just it must be quite expensive to buy the two flats and knock them into one,’ she continued as if she was a detective interrogating her key witness in an American crime drama. I looked away as though I didn’t want to see the look on Tiziana’s face. ‘Ahhh, it’s all just money darling. I save and I spend wisely. You can’t take it with you, isn’t that what they say?’ Tiziana joked as she took another sip of the champagne I quickly bought into the front room to distract Amelia from her questionning.

Amelia wasn’t satisfied with Tiziana’s response but before she could press the topic any further I made a toast, ‘to new neighbours,’ and we all clinked glasses and started to tell Tiziana about the other neighbours and general gossip from the area.

Half an hour later and still gossiping, but now about Tiziana’s experiences with fashion faux pas’, London life and men, Gabrielle came home and joined me with my new found admiration, with Amelia just observing from the sideline. ‘I absolutely love your dress, Tiziana. Can I ask where you bought it from?’ admired Gabrielle, as she got herself a glass from the kitchen. ‘Darling, I do not get my clothes from the high street,’ protested Tiziana, as though slightly insulted by the insinuation.

Gabrielle flashed red with embarrassment as Tiziana continued, ‘all my clothes are made especially for me. I’m a one off darling,’ she boasted as Amelia nudged me and gave me a suspicious look.

I ignored her as I was overwhelmed by our new neighbours stories and intoxicating personality and allowed her to continue with her stories of coming to London in the 90s, her shabby first studio flat and where she is now.

The stories gushed from her mouth and held her captive audience for another hour before she was interrupted by a call and had to leave. ‘Darlings, we must do this again very soon?’ she posed as both Gabrielle and I did our best impressions of the nodding dog you see in the back of cars.

When she departed, we all started to speculate what Tiziana did for a career as we all wanted to join her and start reaping some of her wealth. ‘I think she works with celebrities,’ Gabrielle guessed.

Amelia shook her head, just as Anya came in, so we told her about our new fascinating neighbour. ‘What did she look like?’ Anya asked whilst getting cutlery for her Harrods chicken salad takeaway.

We took it in turns to give our opinions on Tiziana’s appearance as Anya raised her hand to inform us that she’d heard enough of mine and Gabrielle’s gushing. ‘I know who she is,’ Anya announced as we all focused on her intently.

‘And she doesn’t work as a PA unless I can also call my job a PA position,’ she continued sarcastically.

We all stared at her in disbelief.

‘She’s an escort?’ Amelia grinned as I looked at her with a frown as she is always right.