Bombay Mixx - Chapter Six - Part Five

The crowd parted the way for her and almost closed back on the young lady she brought with her.

The room was darkly lit so it was difficult to make out any more features of the pair until they got to the lightly lit stage.

Dad was furious and bellowed, ‘how dare you bring her here? You’re not a mother! You never have been! Unless everyone does what you say, you’re not happy and try to disown them! It’s always your way or the high way, isn’t it? Well guess what, Niamh knows about Shampa and so do the children and they all understand that marriage was a mistake! Just like it was a mistake to invite you here! I want you out now and don’t you ever come near me or family again and that goes for you too!’ he said pointing at Shampa looking slightly less confident on the stage next to my Grandmother.

Renesh started pushing his way through the crowd and this time he looked worried.

He came by my side and whispered he needed to speak to me immediately and it sounded urgent so I agreed and turned to try to get through the crowd.

‘STOP RIGHT THERE.’ Shampa shouted and pointed in our direction. ‘You can go in a minute but you need to hear this,’ she continued as my father was holding my mother back.

‘Don’t you dare speak to my children like that. I’ll rip your head off,’ my mother spat as she tried to get out my father’s death hold.

If he wasn’t holding her I’m not quite sure what she would have done.

Shampa was unfazed by my mother and father’s rage, as she bravely grabbed the mic and with a reassuring nod from my Grandmother she said, ‘Hello all, I am indeed Parwez’s first wife, Shampa. I wanted to come and give my congratulations to the happy couple and to give the family my present! Now, unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of money as Parwez didn’t have a lot when we divorced but look at you now? You have your own business, a common wife and some mixed-up kids, who frankly could use some morals but that’s not my problem. My only issue is my own daughter, Manisha.’

At this point, I wanted to get on the stage and rip her head off myself; however I was more concerned at Renesh’s deteriorating mental state. He was sweating, shaking and grabbing my hand to leave the hall.

‘What is wrong with you?’ I questioned but he wouldn’t answer, he just kept pulling my arm.

The woman guided her daughter to the front of the stage and instantly I understood his fear.

It was the girl from the coffee shop and Shilpa recognised her too.

With her mouth open and advancing on us like a Cheetah on its prey, Shilpa headed in our direction with tears in her eyes.

‘Did you invite her?’ she screamed at both of us.

‘No, of course not,’ I said with a heavy heart, as I was just as much in the dark about the situation as she was but unable to prove my innocence.

However, the show was not over and no matter how many guests tried to get them off the stage; they were determined to be heard.

With my grandmother standing there beaming with pride, she introduced the woman who had caused such pain for Renesh and Shilpa.

‘Isn’t she beautiful?’ she asked the crowd, directing her gaze to my father.

My Grandmother elaborated and gave the final piece to the puzzle, ‘she’s your daughter, Parwez’ to which Shilpa fainted, my father broke down in tears and Renesh was sick on the floor, before trying to help me, Anya and Amelia bring Shilpa back round.

If that wasn’t enough for Shampa, it seemed she had a glint in her eye and we knew that wasn’t the parting shot as she stepped away from my Grandmother and explained, ‘I know it’s a shock but Vilina knew all along and I thank my mother-in-law for helping me with this but there is one thing I kept from you. I know, I have been a naughty little girl but you’ll like this one. We’ll both be in your family forever, just like you wanted…Manisha is pregnant with…Renesh’s baby!’ and with that she started laughing, took her bow and attempted to leave.

My Grandmother no longer looked smug.

Instead she looked sickened with fear and disgust.

This obviously wasn’t part of the plan they had arranged and after a few minutes of being left on the stage in stunned silence, she ran after Shampa for an explanation but it was too late as she escaped into a taxi, which was waiting for her and Manisha outside.