Bombay Mixx - Chapter Four - Part Three

‘In work already, Nita? I like this punctuality. Especially after a weekend,’ Ann admired.

Monday came around faster than my bank statements to tell me just how much money I did not have in my account for this month!

Even though I came to work with a heavy heart, after seeing Angus playing the ‘devoted husband’ on Saturday, I still wanted the promotion in Research, so I planned to work my socks off for the next few weeks to show I could cope with the work load Ann was giving me, taking an extra interest in the different systems they used in the Research department and studying the types of day to day work they did.

‘Yep. I just wanted to get a head start,’ I replied without looking up.

This was my motto for the next few weeks along with avoiding Angus and trying to get my parents back together.

Angus tried to explain the events of Saturday night by saying, ‘it’s not what you think, Nita. We were around some very influential people and we had to put on a show. That’s all it was.’

This was the first time I had ever looked at him clearly and I saw him in a different light.

He no longer looked like the strong, arrogant Casanova I once thought I was falling in love with.

Instead, he looked like this opportunistic, weak, egotistical prat, who wouldn’t have looked out of place on a night out with a group of men having a mid life crisis ready to pounce on anything that looks half their age!

Leaning back in his chair, thinking I had accepted his apology, he began to smile. ‘I’ve just come for you to sign these receipts, Mr. Maguire,’ I replied coolly.

Not fazed by my icy exterior, he continued with his performance, ‘you know I want you, Nita. Don’t be like this. Although, if you’re angry, then that means we’ll be “making up” soon, right? Just give me a rough idea as to how long I’ll have to wait.’ 

I couldn’t believe his smugness!

‘What a sleaze! Slime ball! Wanker!’ I thought as I gritted my teeth and moved closer to his desk.

This got him excited and he leaned forward, thinking I was going to kiss him. ‘If you think I’m going to buy that excuse then your more stupid than you look! You were a toy. A fling. Nothing more. So please do not delude yourself by thinking you were anything more or that this will continue. I’ve had my fun and now its time to move onto bigger and better things, so enough of your sleaze as this is our place of work and you need to start acting more professional,’ I spat at him as I backed away. The colour drained from his face.

I felt like I was on top of the world!

Nothing could bring me down!

I actually felt in control of my emotions and no longer wanted to take back the speech, as thoughts of my country wedding with Angus, our children running in from their private schools with their funny stories of their school day and my afternoon teas with the other elite wives of businessmen and maybe even some celebrities, disappear from my mind.