Bombay Mixx - Chapter One - Part Eighteen

Chapter One – New Pastures?

(Part Eighteen)

As the alarm clock rang, I was jolted out of my dreamless sleep.

Although I knew I wanted to call Ann and tell her that I wouldn’t be returning to AG Cathal because I had met the man of my dreams last night and he’s actually a billionaire, who wouldn’t take no for an answer, my day dreams quickly fled my mind and I released myself from the warm, cosy utopia which was my double Ikea bed and headed for a surprisingly quiet bathroom.

My morning routine was unusually fast today as I was trying to think of every excuse to call in sick. ‘Wow, they are lucky to have you Neets! You nearly got the reception staff fired, could potentially ruin a marriage and look like Marilyn Manson with the black Goth eye make up and you want to call in sick on your third day…hats off to you chick!’ Amelia sarcastically chuckled whilst she devoured her hot buttery peanut butter toast.

Although I wanted to tell her that her love life was no better, she was indeed correct about my current situation, so instead of trying to argue back, I greeted her with a quiet chuckle and set off to see what delights Ann had planned for me to make sure I wouldn’t leave on time today.

Going into the office was like army troops going into enemy territory; slow, cautious and with precision. I made it to my desk without stepping on a bomb. ‘Ahhh safe to get settled and make a cup of tea and nick someone’s bickie’ I thought as I had a quick scan of the agenda Ann had left on my desk, ‘this woman is like some corporate robot! Wonder if she has a secret husband?’ I pondered as I got more confident in my stride and headed to the kitchen.

I peered in first to check that the coast was clear then I entered. I was mid way into choosing the biscuit that would go nicely with my tea when enemy borders were invaded. ‘I’d go for the chocolate one, unless your one of these diet fad females and I hope not because we don’t want you fading away! Men like something to grab onto no matter what the catwalk and magazines say.’

His voice was as smooth as the finest Chinese silk and I almost got wrapped up in the velvety compliments until I heard bellowing footsteps which could only belong to  one person, ‘Good morning Miss Patel and Mr. Maguire. Nita would you mind coming with me as we have a lot to do today and we may as well start it now since it is nearly the start of the business day,’ Ann said as she regarded both of us with a suspicious eye.

‘Not a problem, Ann. Ready when you are?’ I answered sharply to try to regain some kind of professionalism.

As we left the kitchen, I couldn’t help but look back to get my final fix. I did it slowly as though I was only turning back to shut the door; to not look to suspicious and as I did he slowly came closer to the door and whispered, ‘I know that you’re feeling the same as me, so it’s only a matter of time, you can keep up this façade but keep it up as I’m enjoying the chase.’

I was in disbelieve at his arrogance and wanted to tell him where he could shove his chase but just as I was about to give him a sharp tongued response I realised he wasn’t looking at my face anymore but a little further south. I investigated what he was looking at and wish I hadn’t.