Bombay Mixx - Chapter One - Part One

Bombay Mixx

 By S. L. Lewis

************************ 

Bombay Mixx

 A Novel by S. L. Lewis

 eBook Edition

 Copyright © 2012 by S. L. Lewis

 www.bombaymixx.com

 Published by Big Bang Books

 All rights reserved.

ISBN: 978-0-9572969-1-6

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other non-commercial uses permitted by copyright law.

**************************

Bombay Mixx

 Chapter One – New Pastures?

(Part One)

‘You need to give your sister a hand with her packing,’ my mother shouts, ‘I’m busy organising my own life and she can do it herself! She never helps me with anything,’ my sister replies. It was like an army major shouting at his troops to get up! So before I hear the alarm, I make my way downstairs still half asleep.

Even before I get to the kitchen I heard the usual voices although there was one new one; however, my mind gets distracted with the sound of loud pop music and the smell of eggs, toast and coffee, ‘Yum, just what I need after last night’s affair,’ I thought as I walked in.

‘Morning sweetheart, sleep well? Meet Ann, she’s your mother’s friend who you need to report to tomorrow morning,’ my father said in his thick Indian accent. It’s amazing that he’s been here for many years, in the thick of East London but he has still retained his accent. I loved this about him.

The woman stood up like a guard at the gates of the palace and introduced herself with authority.

‘Hello Nita, my name is Ann Lough and I will be your supervisor when you start work at AG Cathal, so I expect you to be on time, dressed appropriately (as she said this she looked at my bed head, Prodigy ripped t-shirt and crinkled cut un-ironed jogging bottoms, which I’ve had since I was a teenager and proud that I can still get into them!) and willing to work very hard.’

I looked at my mother for support, thinking this woman had had one too many of my father’s extra strong, put hairs on your chest coffees, but unfortunately all I got was the look of ‘you better be listening’ and at that moment I felt like I was 6 years old again getting told off for taking more cookies from the jar when mum said I couldn’t have any more.

Let me give you a little background on my parents.