Bombay Mixx - Chapter One - Part Thirteen

Chapter One – New Pastures?

(Part Thirteen)

Gabrielle distracted her attention for a minute with her over the top flirting with one of the two men who seemed to be enjoying our apartment entertainment. ‘Probably some guys from a bar or work,’ I thought as I was also sidetracked with the giggles and playful leg and arm touching. ‘I met him whilst his wife was sat next to me at a fashion show in Milan. Typical leggy blonde, with no fashion sense but had access to his wallet so a designer’s dream!’ she said then braking down into fits of giggles as the man sat next to her encouraged her to drink more wine.

I couldn’t believe he was married! Well actually I could, I just didn’t want to believe it. He did flirt with me though, or was it my imagination? Was he one of those married guys who is really committed to his wife but enjoys a little teasing and playful banter once in a while?

Before I could let any more questions enter my mind, I needed more information and decided to probe Amelia before it was too late. ‘Oh, I didn’t know he was married. How long has he been married for? All the ladies in the office seem to love him.’

The man who was more interested in her seemed very annoyed as I continued the conversation, guiding her attention away from him, but I didn’t care, I needed answers and fast, my heart was on the line here…and yes I realise I have only met him today but unfortunately I believe in love at first sight and you couldn’t mistake that chemistry, we could have started the great fire of London again if we didn’t have Ann acting as a major fire extinguisher!

Amelia put down her glass of wine and drunkenly turned to address me. With a slur in her words she replied, ‘he’s been married for about 3 years I tink but just cos he’s married doesn’t mean he doesn’t fuck around. He’s a real dog. He’s cheated on her loooooads of times and she knows it cos she had the pics to prove it but he’s her ATM so she’s staying there. Plus they have 2 kiddies. Anyway, come join us. Celebrate your first day with us Neeets,’ then she went back to entertain her wounded friend and I declined and retreated to my bedroom.

I felt too upset to try to socialise with the inebriated group so I recoiled to my pyjamas, got into bed, turned on the TV and preceded to down half a bottle of wine complimentary sobs included. I didn’t realise the time when I heard Anya knocking on my door. ‘What time is it?’ I slurred as she entered the mess I called my bedroom. ‘It’s just midnight. Amelia told me she mentioned Angus and his situation. I knew you’d like him. Here’ she gave me another bottle of red and proclaimed, ‘this one is for the real emergency though.’ ‘What could be more of an emergency than knowing my heart was broken and now going to work was not going to be all happiness and harps playing but dog crap and banging migraines ringing throughout my head all day.’ I knew I could only think this as if I said it, I would get ripped to pieces by the hard heart, ice queen herself, Anya!

Anya doesn’t believe in love. When asked why she has never been in a committed relationship, she replied, with her strong Russian, superior accent, ‘I don’t believe in everlasting love. It is a myth. You get used to a person and accept their habits and ways because you don’t vont the loneliness this society says you will have if you don’t have someone in your life. I have everything I vont from men now. Money, no hassle over my time and sex when I vont it…what more can a woman vont!’

Anya settled into my bed and we spoke a little but ultimately she knew I just needed the company of someone strong who would stop me from wanting to cry, so she stayed with me until I fell asleep.

I always liked that about Anya; she appeared an ice queen but was always there for me in her own way when I needed her and I was thankful to her for that night because I woke up with a slight headache but more composure than I would have had if I was left to drink more wine and cry.