84• The End

Mia rode into the walls of Maria. The weight of what she'd soon do resting heavily on her shoulders. She bit her lip, expecting to cry, but felt her chest empty. Her heartbeat slow and yet unsteady.

The steps of her horse were daunting. It was all that could be heard through the winding roads of Shiganshina. Mia was unsure if Eren would be here, but it was a good place to start.

Both she and Armin had theorized that Eren would be back in their hometown. It was the only place he could really remain hidden. The place was more in ruins than the cavities left in Mia's heart.

She kept her eyes peeled and yet silently hoped she'd miss any trace of him. It wasn't long till she found her first clue.

   "Where are you..." She whispered.

Mia jumped down from her horse and picked up the jacket that laid underneath some rubble. It was Eren's. No doubt about it. He had been wearing it when she last saw him.

She brought the jacket to her nose. Besides the dust that coated it, it still smelt just like him. Mia closed her eyes, and forced down the lump that built in the back of her throat.

She feared to let it go. As if it would be her last chance to ever hold it. But Mia had little choice.

   "What are you doing here?"

The voice that called from behind her, ran a chill down her spine. Mia dropped her head. Unable to even expel a breath.

She turned to Eren. His jacket intwined between her fingers. Her frown deepened into her cheeks as she met his glance. He appeared so tired. Anguished.

Eren found his same look colored over her face too. She didn't even have to say it, for he already knew. His gaze dropped to the blades on her hips.

  "Eren..." She tried to continue, but was met with a quivering lip and a pain in her chest.

All he could do was stare at her. His mind numbed. The air felt dense with every breath he took, and she, too, struggled.

He had seen all there was to see but he never expected this. A dry laugh fell past his lips. How funny it was, and yet expected. Eren predicted all that could be seen, but Mia, she was always a wildcard.

  "I won't die." Eren muttered. And though he was unsure himself if his statement was true, his eyes bore a ferocity that was unmatched by even the girl ahead of him.

Mia's hands trembled. She could barely keep grip of the jacket, let alone the swords at her sides. The strength she used just to keep herself standing drove a deeper strain than she could manage.

   "I don't want you to," She looked away, Mia couldn't bear the sight of him, "but I don't think I have a choice anymore."

Eren's heart fell. Not even for what she spoke, but more for the hurt it caused her. He hated to see her in distress. He always had.

     "Mia. I can't let you stop me."

And yet, it seemed that's all he caused her recently.

She shook her head, muttering 'no' continuously. It tore at her heart. And there was no stopping the second war she'd fight. The war between her head and her heart was as deadly as the one she was fighting now.

   "Are they coming here?" Eren asked, taking a step closer to her.

   Mia nodded, "If I don't do it, they will."

Eren couldn't help the sigh that surpassed his lips. His friends, his family, were coming for him. And it only made him hate his own actions more than theirs.