79• The lonesome cell

After the fight between Levi and Mia the week prior, Mia could've sworn rain clouds surrounded her head.  She had neither the energy nor will to look up and see Eren approaching her cell.

"You've looked be-" Eren said, But was cut off by a long, and loud sigh from the sunken girl on the floor.

"-felt better too, it seems." He finished. His eyes wandered over her figure - she seemed smaller. As if her usual volume and tone amounted in her person.

"I brought you your food. Again."

But as he went to place it down, he found the same tray from yesterday still full. Eren sighed, opening up her cell and walked towards her.

"Cabin fever, is it?" And no response from Mia followed. Another sharp groan left Erens lips. He hated how much her silence ached him. It wasn't supposed to- not anymore.

And yet, every time his gaze fell to hers, his mind fell silent. Even if only for a mere second, Eren savored every moment of it.

He shook his head, ignoring his sunken heart , and nudged her food tray towards her with the tip of his foot.

"You need to eat." Eren muttered.

Mia begrudgingly raised her head. She peeled open her eyes, and stared right back at Eren. Though her face was filled with anything but kindness. It was blank.

He looked down on her, and felt his mind swirl with a thousand memories of the past. That look. How he'd seen it countless times before. The old him had wished to have never seen it again.

But here they were; different, and yet entirely the same.

"Why?"

Eren furrowed his brows, scoffing, "You're no use if you're dead."

And as her expression sank, Eren remained firm. No matter how much his heart wilted for the girl sitting below.

He ran his fingers through his hair as he turned around, heading to the door. But he stopped at the soft, pained sound of Mia's voice.

"Eren..." She began, "Do you hate me?"

He froze, stuttering too much to even say a single word. Eren hadn't expected it. Even if he knew it was to come. He looked back at her, a frown plastered over his lips.

Mia didn't need an answer though, his silence was more than enough. Her head fell, as she released a sharp breath. Her lip quivering with each attempt she made to not cry.

"...Eri...why? Why did you have to do this?" She muttered, her voice cracking with each word.

He wished to walk towards her, and hug her till all the broken pieces fit again, but Eren didn't move. He merely watched as the tears streamed past her cheeks.

"We were so happy at one point, you know?" She raised her head, but her vision stayed stuck ahead, "Dont you remember?"

And when he stayed silent, Mia continued, "I do. I remember all of it. Like when we were kids, and you'd always get yourself into fights with those guys who'd bully armin-" Mia laughed through her lips, "-Mikasa and I always had to come in and save your ass."

She waited for his reaction, but his face remained blank. Mia sighed, "But you know my favorite one?"

"I think we were around eight but I was drawing at home, and, of course, your hyperactive ass found your way to me." Mia smiled, her eyes closing briefly.

"You wanted to draw just like I was drawing."

And as Eren, so painfully, heard her recall that day, his mind, too, visited it. As he watched her lips move and remind him of that day he ran to her house, Eren's heart beat could be felt in his ears.