53• The Arrival

" Thanks for taking my horse.. " Eren whispers, tugging harder at his cloak. By now, we've been walking through this forest for what seems like hours. It's dark too, so it doesn't make this experience any easier.

" You need to conserve your energy. As do you Mia. " I roll my eyes, perhaps she's right but no matter, I'm not letting her or anyone take my horse. I seriously doubt holding the reigns of my horse is going to have any effect on me.

And plus, I have other things to worry about. I can't seem to unhinge my mind from the matter of the reclaiming of the wall. Its up to both Eren and i to do it, and they can't do it without us.

My eyes meet Erens and it seems he holds the same worry as I do. As when I trail down, I find his hands shaking madly. I wish I could calm him, tell him everything will be okay... but I'm not sure if it will.

" You're scared, aren't you? " Armin asks, concern mapping along his features as his eyes latch onto Eren and I.

" W-What no, Mia and I aren't scared. " I nod along, not wanting to involve the others.

" Then why are you shaking..? " shit our cover has been blown. Abort. Abort.

" Because it's cold! " I stammer, Armin obviously disbelieving of my claim, looks down at his palms. His lips slightly faltering into a frown.

" Have you ever been afraid of titans? I mean, everyone is scared of them, even I was when I first faced off against one... I was frozen. "  sometimes i forget how others feel about titans,  I had always seen them as such weak opponents. If anything, I judged one who died because of them.

But now, I'm not sure what to feel. But I do know.. I wish I could been there for Armin so he didn't have to feel so scared. I can barely even remember where I was back then.

" Eren, when you and the others were being eaten... you came and pulled me out of the titans mouth. " Suicidal maniac back at it again.

" And you Mia. You literally jumped inside Rod Reiss's titan to save everyone and did it without a single care in the world! "  My eyes soften at his words. A pleasant smile forming on my lips.

" Why were you two able to do that? "  I shed a glance to Eren, a knowing smile forming on his lips as we both share the same answer.

" Reminded me of that day, when you showed us that book. That was the first time I had even thought about what was beyond the wall.

You came running to us with some book and.. at the time we were outcasts — not like I cared. But it all changed when I heard you telling us those things. " Armin looks at me, not really seeming to get what I'm talking about.

" And I saw the look in your eyes. It was like you were having this amazing dream. A dream that I couldn't see.

And that's when I knew for the first time, that I wasn't free. "  Silence filled the empty spaces as my voice faded out, leaving Armin listening curiously as to what was left to say. Even Eren seems intrigued.

" For Eren, it made him despise the titans for making us live like cattle. But for me, it gave me a purpose. For a while I was just mindlessly following Eren and you guys because I had no where else to go.

But when you told me about the outside and the sea and — " I sigh, becoming slightly distraught. " it made me want to escape the hell hole that is these awful walls. Made me willing to do anything, including risking my life."

Eren smiles, before looking back at his now still hand.

" I don't know why but thinking of getting our freedom back makes me feel stronger.. thanks Armin, I'm good now. " I grin, perhaps everything will turn out okay after all.

" This time next year, I bet we'll be looking at the sea! "  I nod eagerly, pulling my horse further along. " Yeah!"

" Wait. " Mikasa suddenly interjects, she raises her lamp. " What is it? "

" I know this place.. we used to collect firewood here. We're near the wall. " my eyes glance to the front, realization hitting me.

We're back here for the first time since we had to leave all those years ago. We're back home.

Erwin, now mounted on his horse, strides forward. A brink of light hits his face, the sun is beginning to rise.

" BEGIN THE OPERATION! " Everyone using their gear, swings onto the wall.

My feet hit the ground, as my vision suddenly stills. I glance upon my town from the shattered homes to the abandoned memories.

I'm frozen. I didn't expect myself to be this way. But then again, I never expected I would return home, at least not yet. Memories begin to flicker through my mind of my times here... mainly the unpleasant ones and I swear my heart begins to beat faster and faster.

I feel faint.

" Mia! Don't stop! " Levi suddenly grips my shoulder, drawing me out of my dazed state.
" Get to the outer gate! " I nod feeling stupid for being so out of it in times like these.

I glide towards Eren, picking up speed to match with his.

And then I see it. The hole in the wall.

The plan begins to reassemble itself in my head. Eren is to harden the outside part of the hole while I swoop in and scream and then Eren will seal it. My scream will act as a second defense if it is to be broken, because it'll blast anyone in close proximity to smithereens. Literally.

" You ready?!" Eren yells. I nod, already feeling the power bubbling in the pit of my throat.

I can do it.

My eyes meet Erens, as he soars higher. And images of the others begin to flicker through my mind.

No, we can do it. Because from the day we were born.. there was something special about all of us.

We both storm down, Eren biting his hand releasing a chuck of hardened skin as I open my mouth. A deafening scream releasing and being held in the little spaces of the hole.

We're free.