32• Confrontations

" Uh oh.. " I mutter, pulling away from the still wailing Mia. I try to scan through the trees but due to the darkness, I cab barely see a thing. The moon light didn't help much either, since it's shining onto Mia and i, giving away our location.

" J-Jean.. I don't want Mikasa to hate me" she sobbed loudly. God, I know she's hurting for whatever reason but right now, it's really not the right time.

I take a deep breath before picking up Mia and throwing her over shoulder. " Hey! " she says, composing herself from the mess she was only moments ago. " Shh " I say, turning in every direction - deciding where to go.

Mia thankfully complies and shuts up, I walk away from where we once were making sure to avoid the moonlight. " I can't hear them anymore ! "  I hear another solider call out and I assume we're safe for now.

Until I hear a certain voice pierce the air.

" Nope! They're in there all right! " Hange sings, and i feel my chest tighten. I'm not exactly sure what Mia did but whatever she did do - she's in deep shit and now so am I because my stupid ass Is going to have to save her.

" You better fucking thank me after this. " I whisper to Mia, just loud enough for her to hear.

" huh? " okay, maybe not loud enough for her to hear.

I roll my eyes and start heading towards a giant tree, near the centre of this wannabe forest and when I thought I had lost them, I step on a stick releasing a loud crunching sound.

" Shit " Mia curses, and I huff in annoyance as I drop her to the ground and she lands with a thud.

" Hey! " she yells but it comes out as a mere whisper. I drop to my knees and pat her head, mumbling out an apology. " Come on, we need to get out of here. " I tell her and she stands up, nodding in agreement.

I look at Mia, taking note of her puffy eyes and still wet cheeks but yet she carries a blank expression - much like the Mia I knew all those months ago.

" Jean, I need to tell you what happened. " she says sternly, holding my sleeve. " Mia, I dont think it's the time " I say, still scouting the area but Mia persists as she tugs harder at my sleeve.

I sigh and turn to her, once deciding it was safe. " What happened? " I ask.

" Jean.. I screwed up. " Mia says, dropping her head and fiddling with her fingers nervously. I furrowed my brows at her - what could freak her out so much? I mean not only did I see her cry today but for her to admit to her own fault.. now that was new.

" Mia.. it's okay, you can tell me. " I reassure her, ruffling her already messed hair.

" I sort of.. blasted Erwin and Mathematics into a wall.. " she says quickly and I let out a loud laugh, unable to contain myself.

" Jean, it gets worse. " Mia continues and suddenly her face stiffens and her eyes grow gloomy. I swiftly compose myself, eager to hear what Mia has to say.

" I was running away from Erwin and.. i was in a closet.. " she sighs, and her eyes start to brim with tears once again. " with Eren.. "  and my eyes widen as though I know what she's about to say.

" We kissed, Jean. Eren and i kissed. " she says, and the tears that only once threatened to fall had now started to pour down her face like a storm.

- Levi's POV -

I couldn't believe my ears. Here I am standing, awaiting to get Mia because all I wanted is to see if she was okay but instead I walked in on a truth - one that I didn't want to hear. The remaining soldiers who had joined me in my searches for Mia all stare at me and I all I can do is stand there.  Hange puts a hand on my shoulder but I shrug it off.

I want to be mad. God sake I want to be hurt or sad  but I can't.  I'm the corporal not some guy who gets his heart broken over some girl. I click my tongue in annoyance and head forward towards Cadet Solera and Jean.

I feast my eyes on the now embracing Jean and Mia, and I only feel my fists clench up even more. " It's okay.. " I hear him whisper and I can't help but let out a scoff.

Like hell it is

" Cadets. " I announce and the two go wide eyed as they separate from each other.

- Mia's POV -

Though I can barely see from the water that still resides in my eyes, I'm still able to make out the man who stands before me.

Levi.

I feel my heart stop completely as I see him and my sight becomes clearer. I pray with every ounce of me that he didn't hear but from the look on his face.. I can tell my chances are slim.

" Kirstein, go back to the castle. " Levi commands, not even glancing in his direction as his eyes are glued to the floor.

Jean takes one last look at me before walking off. " And for all the other soldiers here, I order you back to the castle as well. " and soon groups of soldiers trot off with an angry looking Hange following them.

Then the forest turns silent and the only thing I can hear is my rapid heart beat.

" Levi.. " I begin but he raises his hand, signaling for me to stop.

" It's Captain to you. "  he says coldly.

For a second, I felt my entire world come crashing down. I did the one thing I never ever wanted to do. I hurt him.. I hurt Levi.

The darkness surrounded me, and I could feel my heart racing from the thought of me being unable to see.

" Let me explain.. please. " i plead, but even with the moons light casting down on him, I couldn't make out his expression or his feelings.

Judging from his silence , I began. "  He kissed me, and I know that's not an excuse but it happened and I - " my voice began to break, and though I hated crying and I didn't want to cry in front of him, nothing at this point could stop the Loud sobs that began to sprout from my throat.

" i swear if I could take it back I would. I love you levi.. not Eren. I love you. " I cry, but his face is still blank and the air is stiff and cold.

" Levi.. please say something ! " I beg, but still.. silence.

I walk closer to him, threatening to escape the only space that contained light - for him.

I reach for his arm - desperate for him but he moves the other way.

" I told you. it's captain. "