67• When the Moon met the Sun

Thanks so much for 70k guys, thanks for all the incredible folk who endlessly support me and my writing. I hope this chapter brings you justice, love y'all.

Enjoy the chapter.
—-

" You have a mission you need to complete for me."

I nod, clutching to his hair as he raises his arm, pointing to a man in the distance.

" That short man with the dark hair, do you see him?"

I narrow my eyes, affirming his question.

" Kill him."

The land remained dense. Both sides awaiting each other's next move. The tension was thick and wary, as was the smoke that plumed across the battlefield.

Mia rubbed her eyes, her mind swirling with unbeknownst ways to reach her target. Zeke had informed her months ago at just who this short man was, leaving out nothing but his name.

She wouldn't admit but, she feared the prospect of their fight. For the past four years Mia had been training day and night, she still didn't know if she could take him.

If she could kill humanities strongest soldier.

Zeke saw her anxious face, her eyes widened with fright, and merely smiled. He was confident she'd win, and she couldn't place why.

She was a titan shifter, and held the ability to sonic scream. That would be sufficient so, why was she so frightful?

" What are you going to do?"

Mia sucked in, curling her hands into fists. She silently pitied herself, aware of how ridiculous her worries were.

" I'm going to go home, and get my blades." She neared the edge of his hand, " they have the air, I do not. If I were to transform, his speed would have me on my knees in a matter of seconds."

Zeke nods, laying his hand down to the floor. She scrambled off, looking back and forth for any oncoming corps soldiers.

" it would be best for me to go inside the building. I'd get to the top and use my scream to blow them off. Hopefully kill them too."

And with that, Mia took off, waving back to Zeke quickly. She needed to get home fast, the sooner she did, the sooner the battle would end.

The roads were deserted, the others must have hidden already. Mia ran farther away from the battle, and with that, the smoke left with her.

But someone saw her leave. And while he couldn't see who she is, her blond hair caught his eye and he just couldn't let it go.

His breathing stiffed as he saw her run, his mind falling back to the letter and he feared if he didn't go after her...she really would be gone.

Jean turned to leave but, a hand gripped his shoulder. He didn't even have to turn around to know who it belonged to.

" I'm going to bring her home."

Jean didn't second guess her survival. He couldn't. His body ached and every single cell inside of him told him that their story wasn't over yet.

He knew it wasn't the end, she promised him, she promised Levi. And for him, that was enough to ensure she'd be okay.

" You can't," Levi rolled his eyes, " we have a mission to focus on, Jean. Follow your orders."

Jean shrugged off his hand, walking nearer to the edge of the roof. " She didn't, and nor will I."

And before Levi could have another chance to stop him, he propelled himself through the air.

Mia continued to run, her chest burning and legs aching. Zeke had only trained her abilities, and so forth brought nothing but stitches and agony.

But, the sunlight dimmed over the homes, casting an auburn tint to land. The roads silent, and still, left Mia overjoyed with the peace.

The cries of the battle had silenced, and all she could hear was her own breathing. She knew she had to get home but, she had to take a minute to regain her strength.

Jean fell to the floor, staying absolutely still. There they stood, ten meters apart.

And for the first time in four years, they stood under the same blaring sky.

But, he was nervous. He had replayed the day her candle withered away, and he feared today he'd held no match to ignite her light again.

Be brave, he told himself. But, he was far from it.

He took a step towards her, and as she heard the sound, she remained still.

"...Mia?"

Her eyes widened, the voice familiar to her. She suspected it was someone that her memory had blanked but, she refused to confront it.

Instead, she dealt with the agony that consumed her mind. Memories were trying to breach her conscious, and she couldn't allow that. Not now.

And with one quick breath, she spun around.

His heart swelled, a smile gracing his cheeks. It was her, Mia was here. Her blue eyes still ran cold, and her hair was just as blond as before. She hadn't changed, at least from what he knew.

" Who are you?"

But he didn't care, instead he ran to her. He opened up his arms, encasing her in his grip. He wouldn't be taking her home, instead he'd find his again.

" you're okay." Was all he could mutter, and as his eyes met hers, he'd soon regret that sentence.

She opened her mouth, a wailing scream releasing from the pit of her throat. The ground shook, and the dust from the ground picked up, soaring through the air.

Jean flew, his back hitting a tree. He cried out, his vision blurred and chest empty. The pain surged through his spine, and he knew soon he'd faint.

She walked closer to him, pondering if she should kill him too. But she feared that she may not be able to. Her mind had been working against her, aching to recall the past. It had been her heart that conspired to kill Jean, nothing was at her own accord.

The past didn't matter anymore. The years spent of Levi praising her for thinking with her head rather than her heart had ceased.

She was a stranger, to everyone and to herself.

But, before Mia could get any closer, a zipping sound pierced through the air as did a flash.

A man shielded the fallen comrade, and as if time had slowed, they both halted in their steps.

She recognized his face, the recollection of the drawings she had made finally gaining a shade. She felt wary, recalling what Eren had told her about him.

This was supposed to be the man she was in love with but, she felt none.

And he felt everything. His heart swirled, the fight between his mind to keep his feet steady paining him. Though, he couldn't stop his lips from curving.

After all this time, she was alive. The girl who swore she could never follow an order, had kept the only one he ever cared to give.

His heart ached to call out her name and to hold her again but, he knew he couldn't. Instead, he'd have to face her.

But Zekes orders rang throughout her mind, and soon Levi would find out that he'd die trying.