Chapter 54 - Coping

(A/N: AHHHHH,  I finally updated!! Laziness be gone! XD)

"Konohamaru!"

Said boy's eyebrows furrowed as he turned over in his bed, burying himself further into his blankets. It was bad enough he had to wake up early for the Academy. Why couldn't just let him sleep in peace? Besides, it's not like he was going to do anything special today. He was going drop him off at Udon's place and leave. He was no different than his old man.

The door to his room suddenly opened and the smell of cigarette smoke soon filled the air. The eight year old groaned. At this moment, he missed going to the Academy.

"Konohamaru." his voice boomed.

With a huff, Konohamaru slowly opened his eyes and turned where he could sit up. He removed the blanket from over his head and turned to look at the person who was disturbing his sleep. The offender frowned as he watched the kid scowl at him. He didn't know why he was glaring at him. He had been staying there with him for the past couple of weeks. He knew the routine. He sighed as he took a drag of his cigarette. This is exactly why he didn't like children.

"What?" Konohamaru said irritatingly.

"Get up and get dressed." Asuma said, ignoring his attitude. "We need to be going soon."

"It's too early." Konohamaru said, throwing the covers back over himself.

"It's nearly 10:00, Konohamaru." Asuma said with an eye-roll. "I told you to go to bed, last night."

"You're not my dad." Konohamaru mumbled into his pillow.

"I know." Asuma replied as he turned to walk out the room. "You have 10 minutes to get ready and be in the kitchen for breakfast. If you're not ready by then, you'll have to wait to eat at your friend's place."

"Whatever." he said.

Konohamaru remained beneath his sheets as he heard his uncle's footsteps disappear down the hall. After six minutes of lying in his bed, he sighed before kicking the blankets off of himself. He reluctantly got out of the bed and walked toward his clothing bag that was sitting on the floor near the nightstand. He mumbled under his breath as he removed his night clothes, trading them for his usual outfit.

After stomping across the hall to use the bathroom, he returned to the room to grab his goggles and scarf before heading toward the kitchen/dining room. Unfortunately for him, Asuma was not there and was already standing at the door with his hands across his chest. Konohamaru glared at him before marching toward the door.

"I told you to be read in 10. Not 15." Asuma lightly scolded.

Konohamaru didn't say anything. Asuma shook his head as he opened the door, allowing Konohamaru to walk out before exiting his apartment himself. After locking his door, he and his nephew made their way down the hallway before descending down the stairs. He politely returned the front desk worker's greeting as the walked out of the building and entered onto the streets of Konoha.

Asuma glanced down at the younger Sarutobi. The boy had a permanent frown on his face and his eyes refused to meet his. This caused Asuma to frown. He wasn't acting like his usual self and he was concerned. As they turn down another street, Asuma decided to find out what was wrong.

"What's your issue, kid?" Asuma inquired.

"Nothing." Konohamaru answered curtly.

Asuma sighed. "Listen, I'm not too thrilled about living arrangements either." he started.

"No one asked you to volunteer." Konohamaru snapped. "I could have stayed with Ebisu-sensei or Udon's parents."

Asuma's eye twitched and he mumbled something under breath before turning back to the kid. "What's the matter with you, Konohamaru? I know you were unhappy about coming to stay with me, but even then, you were never this aggressive or bitchy about it." he asked.