Chapter 55 - A New Era

(Flashback....)

(Nearly 29 years ago.....)

Hiruzen was sitting in his office doing his paperwork as usual. He had a tobacco pipe in his mouth and his kage had rested on the side of his desk, revealing his short brown hair. He hummed to himself as he signed yet another document. Surprisingly, the paperwork wasn't that bad today. Maybe it was the fact that Biwako had given him that nice, relaxing massage last night. He giggled to himself as he thought about his wife.

Even after nearly 25 years of marriage, his wife had the same effect on him as when they were younger. He prayed that this war would end soon. He was about ready to have a child of his own, now. His happy (and perverted) thoughts were ruined at sound of his doors being kicked open, followed by a very upset red head marching into his office.

"Hiruzen!" the woman yelled as she stormed into his office.

The young Hokage sweat-dropped. It wasn't hard to tell who this woman was. He knew that voice and tone from anywhere. Knowing this made him want to cower behind his chair. If there is anything he learned in his lifetime, it's that you never want to be in the path of an angry Uzumaki. The result was either fatal or life scarring. Not wanting to look like a coward, Hiruzen straightened up in his seat while subtly doing a hand sign that told his ANBU to leave the room.

 Not wanting to look like a coward, Hiruzen straightened up in his seat while subtly doing a hand sign that told his ANBU to leave the room

Schooling his features to hide his fear and surprise, Hirzuen turned to greet her. "Lady Mito." he said pleasantly. "It's-"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Mito asked with a voice laced in anger.

Hiruzen frowned at this. "What are you talking about?" he asked confusedly.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about!" Mito roared as she slammed her hand onto his desk. "Why didn't you tell me about my village?!"

Hiruzen pursed his lips as he looked into those pupil-less dark eyes that burned with fury. He inwardly narrowed her eyes. She wasn't supposed to know about that. That invasion had only happened a year ago. Why did she know about it all of a sudden?

"What are you talking about, Lady Mito?" Hiruzen asked again. "The village is fine."

Mito narrowed her eyes at him. "I'm not talking about this village." she hissed. "I am talking about Uzushio!"

Hiruzen fell silent at that and just looked at her. She was obviously angry. He honestly didn't know what to say to her. He couldn't just tell her that they had known about the invasion nor could he tell that they didn't. The truth was, they had known that it was probability - a high one. If you thought about it, the chance of Iwa making plans to attack to Uzushio was very likely due to their hate for Konoha. It would make sense that they would try to take out their strongest ally in attempt to weaken them.