Chapter 18 - The Preliminary Round

(A/N: This chapter is long so I'm going to apologize in advance. I was just to lazy to split it up. Sue me.)

Seven teams remained by the end of the Second Exam. Said teams where presently standing in a single file line across a battle arena. Standing in front of them, was their exam proctor, Anko Mitarashi, beside the Hokage himself. His face was stoic and few clouds of smoke escaped the opening of his pipe as he observed the competitors. Standing a couple of feet behind him, were the jonin-sensei of the teams that passed - Team Kurenai, Team Asuma, Team Kakashi, Team Gai, the Sound Team, Kabuto's Team, the Suna Team, and a Grass Team. Several chunin where standing to the sides of the small stage, some looking serious while others smirked. Anko seemed pleased at the outcome of the Second Exam and grinned as she began to address the participants.

"Okay, brats!" Anko replied with a grin. "First off, I would like to say congratulations on passing the second test. You've all done well and now we will be moving forward with the third part of the exam." she said before turning toward the Hokage. "I now pass the torch to you Hokage-sama. He will be explaining the third test."

"Thank you, Anko." Hiruzen said as Anko nodded and stepped away from him, standing with the chunin that were on the sides of the stage.

"Before I explain the next exam, there is something that I would like for you all to know concerning the true reason for this exam." the Hokage started, capturing everyone's attention. "Why do we have allied countries taking the exams together?" he asked rhetorically.

"The answers that are most common with that question are to promote friendship among the countries and allow our shinobi the opportunity to earn a higher ranking." he said. "However, I wish for you not to be confused about the true meaning. The exam is a replacement for war among the allied countries. If you go back through history, current allies were enemies who fought each other over who would rule and dominate. In order to prevent wasteful fighting, the Chunin Exams were made into an international even."

"I thought this about becoming a chunin." Sakura said with a small frown.

"While it is a fact that who becomes chunin is dependent upon the Chunin Exams, the exam has another side to it, where each country's shinobi risks their own lives to protect their land's prestige. Watching this third exam will be leaders and influential individuals from many countries who make up the clients of shinobi." Hiruzen explained.

"The leaders of the countries will be there as well to watch each of your battles. If the strength of a country is clear, then that country will receive more clients. Conversely, if the weakness of a country is clear, then that country will lose clients. This will signal to potential enemies that 'our country has this much power', so it will send a political message to the outsiders." he said.

'So Kabuto was right?' Shikamaru thought. He groaned to himself. 'What a drag.....'

"But why do we have to risk out lives in battle?" someone else asked.

"The strength of the country is the strength of the village. The strength of the village is the strength of the shinobi. And a shinobi's true strength is born only through life risking battles." Hiruzen answered. "This exam is a place to see each country's strength and to show off your own strength. It only has meaning because lives are at risk, and that's why those that have come before you have fought in the Chunin Exams for this dream. That is meaningful."

"So why do you say stuff about it being about friendship if its only meant to stave war?" Ten-Ten asked with a frown.

"As I said in the beginning. I don't want you to confuse the purpose of this. By losing life and establishing balance, friendship is shaped in the world of shinobi." Hiruzen said. "Before the third test begins, I would like to tell you one more thing. This exam is not just a test...."