Chapter 1 - The Next Day

(In a dream.....)

"Get him!" a person yelled as with at fire torch in their hand.

"Don't let him get away!" another person yelled with a pitch fork in their hand.

There were other chants and utterances in crowd as they chased after a little blond kid that was currently running for his life. Said kid tried to run as fast as his little legs could take him. His cerulean blue eyes filled with fear as the small mob was on his tail. It was the night after the Kyubi festival and the fox hunts had just began. He was out looking for a cake for his birthday when he was caught by one of the last parties of the fox hunts that didn't retire after the festival. He had been running from them half an hour now and he still couldn't get them off his trail.

He gasped as several kunai next to him as he ran. Tears ran down his face as he turned another corner. He wasn't surprised that there were shinobi included in the crowd. He knew that everyone hated him in the village. Hell, he was even convinced that his own jiji hated him a little. Why else would the Hokage allow for them to treat him this way.

'Why does everyone hate me so much?' the child thought as he ran for his life. 'What did I do? Did my father's sacrifice not mean anything?'

"You're not getting away this time, demon!!" a person shout from the crowd. Everyone voiced their agreement with the person as they chased him with renewed vigor.

Demon. There was that word again. The word he had been hearing every since he was at the orphanage. He used to wonder what it meant. Why they called him by that name? It was a name that they spat with such venom. He rarely heard anyone address by his real name. Only the Hokage did so.

That word echoed in his head as he ran. The word seemed to linger more when he found out about his father last year. The young Uzumaki was much smarter than many gave him credit for. Even the Hokage underestimated how much he understood. The only one that was not blind to this was Weasel, however, he barely saw the ANBU operative.

When he figured out that the his hero, the Honorable Yondaime Hokage, was his father, he was shocked to the core. After the Hokage had lied to him about knowledge of his parents, he went home that night and looked in the mirror. He critically analyzed his features - from his blond hair, to his blue eyes, and finally his whisker marks. Even he could see the striking resemblance. With that being revealed, the child began his own investigation of things. Months later, he learned the story of the Fourth's great sacrifice and the reason behind the Kyubi festival.

That information only brought more questions. Questions he was afraid to ask of the Hokage himself. 3 months before his birthday, after he had learned the transformation jutsu, he went to the library and began to further his research. It was that time he learned of people called jinchuriki. At this, the big puzzle that was his life, began to fit together until it was finally complete.

At first, he was in denial about it. What father would possibly do that to their own child? However the names kept ringing through his ears. Demon. Murder. Kyubi. He tried to ignore it. Ignore their voices. Ignore his inner conscious that reeked of malice. But as he heard those words of hatred once more as they chased after him with torches, pitch forks, and kunai, the more things seemed to click. The more his inner battles seemed to ring true.

A fresh set of tears flowed from his eyes as he continued to run down the street. That's why they hated him. That's why they cursed the day he was born. Him - Naruto Uzumaki Namikaze - was the jinchuriki of the demon that destroyed the village. The demon that killed so many and ruined so many lives that night. The Kyubi No Kitsune.