Chapter 45 - The Sitting Duck: Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

A day later, Tsunade was right back at the bar. Her cheeks were flushed and a permanent frown seemed to don her expressions. Beside her, was a very worried looking Shizune with a small pig held close to her chest.

Tsunade closed her eyes and lightly sighed. A day had passed since she made the wager with the brat and her mind was still conflicted about the past occurrences of the week. She nearly cried herself to sleep that night on the torii gate. By the time she returned to her hotel, it was early in the morning and Shizune was already in bed sleep. She slept the rest of the morning, albeit unsoundly. Her memories of Dan and Nawaki plagued her mind and Naruto's striking similarities to them stunned her. She struggled with herself, caught up in the whirlwind of emotion.

"Oh, you already at it, I see." a familiar voice said, catching her attention.

"Why are you here?" Tsunade asked as she glanced at her former teammate who was approaching her.

"You're cold. Don't say that." Jiraiya said.

"Hmph." Tsunade huffed as she turned away from him, downing another shot of sake.

"Master Jiraiya." Shizune greeted.

"Shizune." Jiraiya responded as he looked down at the woman. "Could you leave us?" he asked politely. "It's been a while. I would like to drink with her again."

Shizune and left the small bar stand with Ton-Ton at her side. Jiraiya took Shizune's place beside the Slug Sannin and made himself comfortable,

"Master, sake! And some radish!" Jiraiya ordered.

"Coming up!" the stand owner said as he went to work.

Jiraiya and Tsunade silence as Jiraiya waited on his food. Soon an alcohol-induced blush stained Jiraiya's cheeks as the chef placed his order of radish in front of him along with another bottle of sake.

"Ooh. This looks good." he said as he looked down at the small meal.

Tsunade said nothing as the toad took another drink of sake. She knew he was going to try to give her one of his inspirational speeches. She could already see the wheels in his head churning, trying to convince her to come back to Konoha. She sat there and waited for him to speak.

"At any rate, to think you'd still be taking good care of that necklace...." Jiraiya started. "I thought you'd have lost it long since to gambling. It's a momento of those two, right?"

Tsunade didn't say anything thing as she continued to stare at the table. She honestly didn't have anything to say. At the mention of her lover and brother, she felt a pang in her chest. They haunt her, their deaths. Even after all these years, after all the running she's done, and after all of the slight and avoidance, they continue to follow her. They will never leave her alone and guilt along with pain and longing pervaded her. So, she remained silent and let Jiraiya talk. Although she would never admit, his presence there did bring some sense of ease to her troubled mind.

"Is he on your mind....?" Jiraiya asked.

"Who?" Tsunade asked, turning to look at Jiraiya.

Jiraiya glanced at her with a small grin. "Naruto." he said.

"Not particularly." Tsunade said as she stared down at nothing.

"Still, it's immature, taking on that kid as an opponent." Jiraiya commented. "He shouldn't be able to master that jutsu in a week, right? That's not what's called a bet."

Tsunade sucked her teeth at this and looked away begrudgingly, catching Jiraiya's attention.

"What's with the fit of despair?" Jiraiya asked.