Chapter 32 - Behind Enemy Lines

After the Konoha Invasion......

The halls of the Tsuchikage Tower clicked as feet met its hard floors. The sounds only grew louder as the small group of bodies neared the Iwagakure council room. The one leading the group was the Tsuchikage himself, dressed in his formal robes without the hat that was left in his office.

He was an older man and was very short. He sported a triangular beard and a moustache that was angular around the corners. While the top of his head was bald, the lower half of his head sustained long white hair that was styled in a traditional chonmage hair cut, where the back was tied with a yellow ribbon into a topknot. The man had a big red nose with thick eyebrows and a light tan to his skin. The Kage robes consisted of a green and yellow coat with a red collar, and underneath them, he wore the traditional Iwagakure outfit: a light green flak jacket and mesh armor. His shirt was long-sleeved with a single lapel on the right side and dark gray shinobi sandals donned his feet.

This midget of a man was Sandaime Tsuchikage, Ōnoki, also known as "Ōnoki of Both Scales" by enemies and allies alike. He was a prideful man and considered the strongest shinobi Iwagakure has ever produced. Having been by the Nidaime and grandson of the Shodaime, the 80 year old man was the only living kage to have fought the great Madara Uchiha himself and despite of his considerably advanced age, he was still able to retain his battle prowness and able to continue leading his village with the strong faith of the people. At the moment, said was rubbing his temples, nursing the migraine he had seemed develop since he left his office. Flanking him, were his son, Kitsuchi on the right, and to his left, was one of his closest advisers Gonto.

The three men continued their trek to the council chambers, the low whispers and murmurs seeming to grow louder as they neared the door. When the double doors opened, the room fell silent as the Tsuchikage entered the room. The council room was cool and light lighting. The floors were a mixture of ceramic and cementitious tiling, and the walls were made of limestone and concrete blocks. The council table was made out of a stainless metal alloy with four stone chairs seated at each side. At the head of the table, was the Tscuhikage's chair that was uniquely styled, distinguishing it from the rest of the chairs.

The Iwagakure council was an assembly of elders and Iwagakure's most prominent figures. They consisted of 8 members, excluding the Tsuchikage himself, and together they help their leader finalise decisions concerning their village. Unlike Konoha and Suna, all the decisions and suggestions had to be approved by the Kage and the leader had the final say. The Tsuchikage was both leader and host of the council and the council was only summoned at his will. Today's meeting had been a the first assembly called in many months which would explain all of the looks of confusion and curiosity that were being sent the Tsuchikage's way.

Ōnoki silently walked to his chair, ignores the stares his council gave him. He took a seat at his chair, using the small extra seat under him to add to his height so he could see everyone. His adviser followed suit, taking a seat at the chair to his left while Kitsuchi began to pass around manilla folders to the council.

A few of the members nodded to him as they received their folders. After he was finished, Kitsuchi took a seat at the Tsuchikage's right side as Ōnoki continued to watch his council read through the documents and reports in the file. Once he felt that they had enough time to skim through the information, he cleared his throat, grabbing the attention of the assembly. Every sat up straight and gave him their undivided attention.

"The Iwagakure assembly with now officially begin." he announced before turning to his son, giving him a head nod.

"As you can already see in the reports, you all know that Konohagakure had been invaded 2 days ago by Otogakure and Sunagakure." Kitsuchi started.