Chapter 6 - Prequel to the Chunin Exams: Part 2

Shikamaru sat in silence with his sensei as he stared at the board. His sensei was currently 10 points ahead of him in the game with caused the young Nara to furrow his eyes. Asuma watched the genin as he took a drag of his cigarette. Despite of how lazy he was, the kid was smart. His prowness in strategy and tactics was unlike anything he'd seen before from a genin. He knew his student would be a force to be reckoned with on a battlefield if put in the situation. He wondered how he would fair in the chunin exams.

"Checkmate." the Nara said, snapping Asuma out of his musings.

The Sarutobi looked at the lazy genin before looking down to study the board. His eyes widened as he realized the genin at trapped him with rook and knight. When he got of his surprise, he chuckled before shaking his head. What did he expect from a child who had an IQ of 300.

"You've improved." Asuma said.

"You can thank my dad for that." Shikamaru said with a yawn. "Can I go now? I have clouds to watch."

"What do you think about the Chunin Exams?" Asuma asked.

"It's a drag." Shikamaru answered, earning a sweat-drop from his sensei.

"Your not even the least bit interested? The exam is next week." Asuma responded.

"I can't be interested in something I never seen." Shikamaru drawled. "Since our team is participating, ask me how I feel about it next week." he said as he stood from the table.

Asuma sighed as light tick mark formed on his head. Between him, Ino, and Choji, they would be the death of him. "What are your thoughts on the other teams?" he asked, curious about his opinion of the other genin.

Shikamaru slightly quirked an eyebrow before returning to his lazy persona. "Is that your way of asking me about that troublesome blond?" the Nara said. "To answer your question, I don't know. Haven't seen him around much."

"Team 7 were assigned D-ranks because of what happened during our first group practice." Asuma informed.

Shikamaru shrugged his shoulders. "Sounds like a drag." he said as he began to walk away from the table.

"Where are you going?" Asuma asked.

"I'm going to watch the clouds and take a nap." Shikamaru said. "I don't want to be here when that trouble girl gets here." he said as he walked out of the restaurant.

Asuma sighed as he sat at the table by himself. For the past few weeks, his team stuck to light training. Despite of their glimpse of the future, Asuma saw no reason to increase their training. Making them push their limits and train strenuously in such a short time span was not physically and logically sound. Effective improvements can only be made when skill are honed. Because of this reason, the bearded jonin has been having his students hone the skills they already had. It may have seemed like a futile effort to others, but as a ninja, time was not always a guarantee on missions. You had to either use what you have or fail. And failure wasn't answer for his team.

"Asuma-sensei!" a feminine voice said.

Walking toward the table, was no other than his other student, Ino Yamanaka. She was currently wearing her usual attire without her shuriken pouch. The platinum blonde took a seat at the table and looked around. Her light blue eyes landed on the shogi board on the table and she instantly knew who it belonged to.

"So where is everyone else?" she asked.

"Well, Choji is helping his father with something so he is going to be late." Asuma answered. "And Shikamaru just left."

"Why did he leave?" she asked with a furrowed brow.

"To watch the clouds." Asuma answered simply.