The Suna Arc I: The Journey Back Home

Team Baki traveled traveled the woodsy terrain of the Land of Fire for 6 more hours before they eventually made it to the Hi-Kawa border. After managing to avoid boarder security, the genin crossed their way into the River Country. Temari and Kankuro were relieved to be out of enemy territory. They could finally sleep peacefully and relax without having to worry about ninja trying to find them.

Currently, the Suna team were walking down a dirty road that led to a nearby town, Gawamura. It was a small village-town 15 miles south of the northern boarder. At their current pace, they would be arriving at the place within the next 2 hours. Temari and Kankuro looked exhausted as they continued to soldier their way toward their next destination. Gaara looked fine and just allowed his siblings to set the pace. He continued steal glances from his siblings, his mind still milling over the different thoughts that afflicted his conscious. Feelings of confusion, befuddlement, and a range of other emotions that he wasn't used to feeling. He wasn't used to feeling at all.

It was early in the evening when finally made it to Gawamura. Kankuro cried in victory as they walked through the village entrance and into the abating traffic on the street. Temari could hear her stomach growling as her muscles made their soreness known. She simply groaned as they continued down the street. She longed to just soak in a hot spring and allow the pain and stress to just wash away. Kankuro gave her an empathetic look, knowing exactly how she was feeling.

"We should rest here tonight." Temari said as they strolled through the small village. "We're about a two day's journey from Suna. Depending on our travel time, we should be there Saturday evening."

"I think we should take our time, Temari." Kankuro tiredly. "We've been running for 8 hours straight today. And yesterday, we spent the day fighting, evading, and running at full speed to get home. Plus, we've only gotten 6 hours of sleep since then. I think we should just take it easy for the moment."

Temari furrowed her eyebrows before she turned to her younger sibling who was just staring ahead. "What do you think, Gaara?" she asked.

Gaara slowly turned to look at her. He stared at the girl for a couple of moment he turned to look ahead once more. "I don't know." he finally answered, earning a sigh from the kunoichi.

"Come on, Temari." Kankuro said with a light whine. "How are we supposed to get home when we can barely get to an hotel? The only reason we're managing to move right now is because we're willing ourselves to. Please, Temari, let's just head out the morning after tomorrow. I'm drained."

Temari didn't reply. They had needed to get home as soon as possible. She was sure that news of the invasion had reached the village by now and they still didn't know where their sensei was. They were also the Yondaime Kazekage's children, placing rather large targets on their backs. Gaara had an even larger price on his head due to what he had inside him. Although they were in neutral territory, it didn't mean that they were safe. You never knew who was watching.

Despite of her worries, she knew she couldn't completely discount Kankuro's plea. They were physically incapable of continuing their journey at them moment. She had to concede that at the rate they were currently going at, they would only make it 5 miles outside of this town before they'd collapse. Tiredness and fatigue weighed on her mind and body, and she felt drained on all levels. She glanced at her quiet younger brother who was still looking ahead. At least they could keep a low profile now that he was no longer blood driven. She contemplated situation for a moment before she finally sighed tiredly.

"Fine." she replied in resignation, earning a grin from Kankuro.

"Great!" he exclaimed as he finally spotted a decent looking hotel they could stay. "Let's go check in, jan."