Chapter 40 - Tsunade Senju

Flashback....

(23 years ago.....)

Tsunade speedily made her way toward the borders of the territory that bounded Amegakure. Running at each side of her, were her teammates, Orochimaru and Jiraiya. They were just returning from a confrontation with Ame's fearful leader, Hanzo the Salamander.

They were the only survivors of what could be described as a complete onslaught. Out of all of the Konoha forces that were sent there, only Team 3 remained. Because they were the only survivors that managed to fight through anything he had thrown at them, Hanzo nicknamed them Konoha's Sannin in reward of their accomplishment. In exchange for their lives, he told them that they were to refer to themselves by that title. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but in order to return to the people they cared about, they conceded.

Each of them had mixed feelings about the incident. While Orochimaru was rather thrilled about fighting such a formidable opponent, he couldn't help feel a sense of defeat and even mockery at taking on their given title. To him, the situation was bittersweet. For Jiraiya, it was disturbing, yet fulfilling at the same time.

While it gave him a gauge of his skill and growth a ninja, he lost many comrades today and he was unable to protect the innocent villagers of their leader's wrath. He especially thought about the three orphans he had came across during his time there. They inspired him and he was inspired by their dream, one that was much like its own. He knew that whatever happened to them, despite of the circumstances, they would go far and that was the thought that kept a small smile on his face.

Tsunade was just relieved to be head home. This war has been hard on everybody and she had a certain someone that was waiting on her. Today had been filled with hardships and plenty of bloodshed and she wished to see her lover's gentle smile once more. A smile that seemed to make all her fears and troubles go away.

The group came to a halt when Jiraiya stumbled onto the ground. He groaned as he held his leg. Blood seeped through his bandages and the water around him began to turn blood red.

"Dammit, Jiraiya." Tsunade hissed as she kneel beside him.

Orochimaru looked down at Jiraiya before he began to look around, checking for enemies.

"Hehe, sorry about that, hime. Probably should have been more careful." Jiraiya said sheepishly before hissing in pain.

"You think? I swear I don't know where your head is half of the time." Tsunade said as she grabbed Jiraiya's and pushed a bone back together, earning a loud groan from Jiraiya. The pain began to gradually dissipate as Tsunade's hands began to glow green.

"In the gutter as always." Orochimaru said as he glanced down to see Jiraiya subtly trying to peak under Tsunade's armor to see her chest.

Jiraiya shot a glare at the man. "You are just mad you simply don't have my awesome imagination, teme." he scowled.

"I wouldn't call you sexual deviancy imagination, Jiraiya." Orochimaru commented.

"Appreciating the gifts of a woman is not sexual deviancy. It's delightful regard." Jiraiya retorted. "Something I'm sure you wouldn't know anything about, given your record."

Orochimaru felt his eye twitch at that remark. "Just because I don't gallivanting around whores all day and peep into the hot springs, does not mean I am without interest of the fairer sex." he said. "Unlike you, I have some dignity about myself. Besides, we are at war. We don't have time for romance and other insignificant things. You should be focusing on getting stronger to protect the village."